Cow or timber

• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 49
  • Views 5K
I use a cow when the sling is long enough, timber otherwise. I have been told that it is unwise to load a timber hitch in a direction perpendicular to the stem, but I don't know if this is necessarily true.

The few times i used a timber, it slipped. I'm a cow user.

You have to tuck it the right way. I used a timber hitch and porty on a big live oak with only one wrap to hold it. We were short on gear and I only had a 10' tenex to go around a 3' trunk. The roughness of the bark and the fuzziness of the well-used tenex were more than enough to keep everything in place.

A cow is hitched from both directions for stability with side angle pulls or whatever.

A timber bites in one direction.

On a timber when false crotching or negative blocking it's important to wind the tuck
so that the downward forces only tightens the wrap as opposed to rolling it closer to unraveling.

Make sense I hope?

Couple of pictures of Cow Hitches.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    506.5 KB · Views: 7
That's not the way I tie a cow hitch. Maybe I'm doing a different knot. Mine ends up looking like a girth hitch with a half hitch woven in. Instead of that turn that goes under the first bight in your top picture, I feed the rope back through the bight and then put on 'the better half'.

I've tied your way too, neither way slips once you cinch it down.

Me too Blinky, you go back through the girth hitch bite then take a half hitch around the part with the block on it and then tuck the tail in once somewhere. I forgot to tuck the tail in once and it came loose.

A Girth Hitch is just a Choker giving 2 legs of support. A Cow is same with only 1 leg giving support; tho other is free, and should be locked off somehow.

I use a cow when the sling is long enough, timber otherwise. I have been told that it is unwise to load a timber hitch in a direction perpendicular to the stem, but I don't know if this is necessarily true.

That would stand to reason if loading perpendicular was reducing friction. A timber hitch is unwise for attaching to limbs being lowered, with the tendency to "roll out"...guess everybody knows that.

I use it pretty much exclusively to attach a porty, block, or pulley; either at the ground where I can keep an eye on it, or on a spar when I'll be moving it down after each cut.

Probably most folks use your method. Speaking of bowlines, I was just reading today, that doubling the line to make two loops before passing the free end through, gives you seventy-some percent knot strength. I thought that was neat to know.

For pulls I always use a running Bowline. I didn't realize a double bowline was THAT much stronger, cool!

Timber hitch here, but always with at LEAST 7 tucks. I had one come undone once with only 6 tucks. That was a crappy day.

With the timber hitch, I get the impression that having the whole thing tight to begin with, gives you that much more friction to keep from coming unwrapped. The only inconvenience is pushing your tucks through on a tight rope.

I use timber hitch the most here unless I use a sling. No less than 5 turns. And always dress ANY knot... I bet a lot of knots that ever failed were due to lack of proper dressing. Never had a TH fail yet. I also use the bowline for pulling as well as the TH depending on the spar size and angle of pull. Steeper angle.. Bowline.

In one of Reg's videos, he attaches the lowering line to the target limb with a timber hitch backed up by a half hitch. But I noticed he had a knot (looked like a figure eight?) in the end of the rope. So it only took a couple of tucks to secure it. There was no way the stopper knot was going to come out. I assume he just left the stopper knot that prevents the rope from running out of the block when the groundies pull it back up. I have yet to use the timber on lowering limbs, but with the knot it looks secure. I always use a running bowline, backed up with half-hitch if load is really heavy.

Back