Coffee.

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
I mostly want it to smell like coffee and taste like sugar. I don't want to fill out a credit application or learn any new words to order it. I'd probably make it at home, but can't be bothered to acquire all the ingredients, paraphernalia, and keep it in date to prevent spoilage of perishable components. I guess not being affected, in a positive way, by caffeine has kept me from coffee addiction. But I do love the smell.

So, how does everyone get their coffee fix?

My day to day coffee is wegmans preground "traditional" blend. I make that in a pourover pot. Just like it sounds. A basket with grounds is put over the pot, and you pour hot water over it. When I want something better, I grind whole bean coffee(usually something from Chesapeake Bay Roasting Co) in a hand mill, put that in a French press, add hot water, and press. I also have moka pots I infrequently use to make an espresso-like cup. Always black, no sugar. I make an exception sometimes in winter, and add Irish cream.

Half & half doesn’t perish nearly as fast as milk, and the flavored coffee creamers last even longer, probably due to added preservatives.

For the past 5 or 6 years I’ve been a connoisseur of crack-like energy drinks. Was approaching 3 grams a day of caffeine for a while. Under 1.5 grams now, on days when I got 12 and 16 hour shifts. My days off usually 600 milligrams. Some days zero, and there’s a little pep missing I guess but I’m not in migraine country dim-the-lights withdrawal or anything like that.

The other day I was half way to work before I noticed I forgot my car.

I visited a famous Wall Street legend at his home home in Del Mar, it was early morning and he offered me coffee. I watched him prepare it in his kitchen, pouring a measure of whole bean Kona beans into his grinder, which he then poured into a French coffee press, added slightly cooled boiling water, chatted with me a few minutes, then poured me the best cup of coffe I'd ever had in my life.

I've been an insufferable coffee snob ever since.

I drink a quart of coffee a day, and one giant evening meal a day, popularly known as the OMAD diet.

ALl I can say is it works, it sucks, but is manageable by drinking water during hunger rumblings.

Like an animal subsisting on one good kill a day......

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eating a lot/late has been a terrible part of my life. Can't see how it's of any benefit.

My only serious beef's muscle cramps becoming more prevalent, but sports drinks in powder form has alleviated them considerably.

Jomo

Coffee here in our household is a worshiped morning ritual. Melitta 6 cup cone, a pour over, as John calls it I think. I make 6 cups (by the standard 6 oz. cup) which makes 3 serious big mugs, two for me, one for M, unless as on occasion occurs, we share the last one.

I grind the beans just prior to making the pot each morning. Our favorite by far and the standard offering in our home is a house brand from Winco grocery stores, called Double French Roast.

Stong, rich, flavorful. We use a tablespoon of half and half cream per 12 oz. mug.

Nirvana :).

I never pictured you as a whole beaner Burnie!

I figured you as a Folger's guy for sure!

Jomo

I cannot say I'm addicted to coffee, or more accurately, caffeine. If I have to miss morning coffee for some unusual reason, I don't suffer any. But I do love the whole procedure...part of our daily regimen.

Probably figures you're buying the cheapo $4.99 firewood, you'd be getting dollar store coffee too :^P

I drink about 50oz per day minimum. Might be twice that sometimes.
John...that sounds like serious addiction right there.

Of course, there are many worse things to be addicted too :).

And I'd put my Winco double french roast up against ANY dark roast out there :D

Last edited:
I'll get a screaming headache if I don't get caffeine, so I just make sure I always have coffee on hand. I'm good with that :^D I /could/ drink herbal tea, and be sorta ok with it after the withdraw ended, but it would always be second best. I love the taste of coffee, and coffee drinkers live longer...

US Dept of Forestry wasn't exactly synonymous with Hawain whole bean coffee from Kona Island Burnie!

I suspect yu drank what yu could get!

Jomo

Last edited:
The only time I have ever been in a hospital room was recovering from my hip replacement surgery. 3 days. It was a double occupancy room. No coffee :).

One roommate was there for the first day, then a second for the other two. They both suffered, and I mean SUFFERED, from caffeine withdrawal.

It was not pleasant to watch.

Me...nothing to report :).

US Deot off Forestry wasn't exactly synonymous with Hawain whole bean coffee from Kona Island Burnie!

I suspect yu drank what yu could get!

Jomo
I have no idea what this post means, Jomo.

And just to help you out a little bit, there is no such federal agency as the "US Deot off Forestry"...or even the US Dept. of Forestry, if my translation is close to accurate.

Perhaps you mean the US Forest Service? Not that the USFS was in the business of providing me my coffee...?

Proof apparently that I am truly nutso n mal nourished......

Yu got me.......

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I go through the whole withdrawal crap if I cut out the caffeine, but I don't get any other reaction to caffeine. If I'm tired, I could, and have, downed two 20 oz Redbulls, and promptly go to sleep. Last year I was drinking 80-100 oz of Redbull per day. Only symptom was a lightened wallet.

Too much caffeine will eat your belly lining away.

Something I learned the hard way 30 years ago downing a six pack of Lipton Iced Tea s day.....

Jomo

Back