Climbing Hardware Buying Guide

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
This spring I am planning on putting together a video review/comparison of different climbing equipment. First on my list is going to be 'Climbing Hitch Buying Guide: Mechanical, Cordage and Otherwise'

I plan to show setup, use, pros cons etc for a wide variety of items.. So far my list of things to include are:

Blakes Hitch DRT
HitchClimber Pulley and hitch cord DRT
Regular micropulley and hitch cord DRT
Unicender SRT and DRT
Hitch Hiker SRT and DRT
Spiderjack DRT
LockJack DRT
Rope Wrench SRT
Zig Zag DRT

In this category is there anything anybody else would like to see included?

I own or have obtained one of everything on the list to test except for a ZK-2 RopeWrench (I have a ZK1 coming to test) and a Lockjack. If anyone has either of these two items that they would be willing to lend me I would appreciate it!

As far as format I am thinking the best idea would be to make one, all inclusive video with side by side comparison and review. It wont be best for viewer retention but I think it will provide the most objective comparison. I can then use a 'table of contents' in the description giving time markers for each segment for those that want to skip around. Or do you guys think individual videos for each product would be better?

If 'Climbing Hitch Buying Guide: Mechanical, Cordage and Otherwise' goes well I would likely tackle ascenders next, 'Ascenders a Buying Guide: Hand, Foot, Knee, Chest and Otherwise'

Any ideas or suggestions (or loans :)) are appreciated!

Nick, I have both the Lockjack Sport and ZK-2 that you can use, if I can find them. I would also suggest on the reviews you focus on the new SRT tools and their applications as the DdRT side has already been well covered.

Dave

Are you going to be comparing different types of hitch cord tenex, beeline......... and how about the RADS system.

That seems like a great idea Nick! Your video could save a people a lot of money and frustration from buying the wrong products or misunderstanding how to properly use the good stuff.

Nick, I have both the Lockjack Sport and ZK-2 that you can use, if I can find them. I would also suggest on the reviews you focus on the new SRT tools and their applications as the DdRT side has already been well covered.

Dave

That my well be, but there are a lot of us still in transition and a (brief) recap of DdRT beside a more detailed look at SRT would be useful, especially highlighting the ease of ascent SRT when away from the trunk. Also it has the potential to become a 'one stop' video for comparison purposes rather than buying different videos.

Comparing the various setups on the SAME tree, on the SAME ascent would be useful, I often see and hear people say how good SRT or DdRT is, but , for instance, smack up against a trunk, which one is more efficient, and also, suspended away from the trunk, which one is more efficient?

Also for 'transitioners' what is the minimum amount of kit you need to go SRT...

...Also for 'transitioners' what is the minimum amount of kit you need to go SRT...

All you need is one complete Hitch Hiker package from Paul. :D

You bring up some good points and I agree with you. I did not make myself clear in my post. I was just thinking that Nick did not need to try and redo some of the heavily documented tools like the Hitch Climber pulley, but instead focus on these new fangled tools that are giving everyone fits. I didn't mean for him to ignore the use of DdRT

Dave

Who is this for?

You might want to mention the treeclimbing.com Gear Rater. It is the only place I know of where you can see reviews on just about everything tree climbers use. Well...not EVERYTHING...but you get what I'm saying. It's an underused tool that could be of more value if more people used it. But for beginners, there is a wealth of knowledge there that is a lot easier to find that using the search features on all the forums.

http://treeclimbing.com/index.php/climber-tools/gear-rater

Haha...I have a Pantin, have some webbing...need a HH...and an ascender?
It's coming...65' DdRT yesterday...mind you, keeps me in shape for the beach weather...

Beach weather? All the beaches around here are still covered in snow. I just want this winter to end it is really dragging on.

It's coming...June in Bermyland should be nice...in between the trees.

Back