Climbing - Grapple

mistahbenn

Treehouser
There are times when I think, damn I need to just get over there ** feet, in the tree, too far to swing.... Just today, I had to have the groundsman swing me to where I wanted to be... but having seen Reg with his grapple ($230) I'd like something similar but not breaking the bank lol. When I was in Sweden a guy had what he called the secret weapon, just a bit of twisted up metal he would use to grapple rounf the canopy ha. What do you guys use?

LOL....
This is what I think we were looking at when I was talking to Gord about it. Can't find the thread.
Couple bills though...
0000340_300.jpg

http://www.apexxgear.com/products/338-grabber-collapsible-grappling-hook.aspx

I think that is one of the best aspects of srt, just throw it through and have the largest groundsmen hold it and traverse.

That works easily on a HH.

Do you disengage a RW and just work with the friction hitch?

I didn't know you were an SRT climber, Joel. What device for you?

A throwline can set a rope to pull you over, while on a DdRT system.

You can sometimes jam a large knot tied in your rope tail.

DMM hook is about ready to come out right? That will be easy to carry and work a lot of the time. After years of fighting to get over to other trees in a grove I saw Reg's vid and bought the Batman looking black military model shown by Stephen, haven't used it yet. One job and it will earn it's keep. Funny, pre-Wraptor I traversed wide spaces all the time.

That small Stainless grapple on ebay that is made in China was next to something where I could judge size better at one time. I think it is pretty small.

When using SRT in trees that are close together, Often, you can shoot a line through more than one tree setting yourself up for a traverse. Just sayin ;)
Of course the Wraptor changes all that :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
DMM hook is about ready to come out right? That will be easy to carry and work a lot of the time. After years of fighting to get over to other trees in a grove I saw Reg's vid and bought the Batman looking black military model shown by Stephen, haven't used it yet. One job and it will earn it's keep. Funny, pre-Wraptor I traversed wide spaces all the time.

That small Stainless grapple on ebay that is made in China was next to something where I could judge size better at one time. I think it is pretty small.

For $30 i ordered one to see if its any good, will let you know.... The specs are on the ebay page.

I often just muscle it using the long pole. Hook it on a branch and pull myself over. If it's to far to reach I could always have someone throw a line up there for me. I've used a grapple a few times but it was more of a novelty. Not sure that it saved me any time or energy. What kind of distances are you guts trying to traverse?

They dont have to be huge. Just heavy enough to pitch over and large enough tines to grab a limb. I think Gord had a tennis ball on the shank to help with flipping over branches better.
Let me know how it performs Benn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I often just muscle it using the long pole. Hook it on a branch and pull myself over. If it's to far to reach I could always have someone throw a line up there for me. I've used a grapple a few times but it was more of a novelty. Not sure that it saved me any time or energy. What kind of distances are you guts trying to traverse?

For instance I was deadwooding a large silver maple the other day, would have been handy from TIP to get over to two other leads and do those first (With a redirect), only 15-20 feet away... Instead had to go down and climb each lead. And yesterday I srt'd up and was in mid air only 8 feet from my office, but needed groundguy to swing me in. Little things....

It wouldn't be work otherwise :) Sean HH for my whole srt experience not positive but going on 4 yrs I think. Hadn't even thought about that mostly being a feature of the HH.

Interesting to see how it works out. I've just done the same as mentioned, preset lines to pull me up/out. Rope management takes a bit more time when the tree looks like a weeping willow with all the lines set.

It wouldn't be work otherwise :) Sean HH for my whole srt experience not positive but going on 4 yrs I think. Hadn't even thought about that mostly being a feature of the HH.

I wondered if the hitch on a RW set-up would be ok with a very sloping line, not supporting 100% body weight.

Back