Chipper Winch Lines

chris_girard

Treehouser
One of the companies that I do work for, recently bought a Bandit 1390 chipper that comes with an Amsteel winch line.

The problem these guys are having with it, is that it doesn't feed out easily even on auto-feed and the ground crew has to yank and yank on the line to get it to come out. I've used other chippers with Amsteel line and have never seen it that hard to pull out.

Has anyone here had these problems and if so, how did you fix them? Thanks.

Once in a while mine will catch, but only after winching some heavy stuff. They must be really over working that winch. I also guided my winch line by hand the first time on. Not sure if that made any difference though. 200' max

Respool the line with some weight on the end it sounds like the line is burying itself in a loose winding. I hope that made sense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is the line at the beginning of the spool anchored on the winch drum, so that when we pull it out to respool, we won't loose the end?

If the line isn't tight on the drum in the first few layers it's soft and will let the outer wraps, under tension, bury itself in the soft layers causing the binding you are talking about. So if you can watch it respooling and try and make the bottom layers nice and neat. If you go on Samsons web site and other rope manufactures I am sure they all have a way of winding a winch to avoid tension burying.

Yes Chris, it should be anchored, if it isn't it was installed incorrectly and needs to be done right anyway.
One of my chipper winches has a braking system to keep it from free spooling, might check for that as well

The winch line should be anchored like stated above. Either inside the cover or through the side of the spool and anchored there. If the bottom layers are loose, it will grab the tighter top layers. Pull it all out. If it's not anchored, it should be asap.

Back