Chipper Tires, what are you running?

greatoutdoors

TreeHouser
Hey guys, have a new to me 250xp that needs tires desperately. I have a set of 15" rims and a set of 16.5 rims. Supposedly it had 33x12.5x16.5 stock. So, what kind of tires are you running on your chippers? I would like the wide tires so we don't make ruts easily, but I'm open to any advice. Finding tires locally has been a pain, but a guy at work found the wide "flotation" type tires for 200 a piece for his Morbark 13.

The 250xp is very heavy and is pushing the limits of both the axle and the tires. You need the highest weight rated tires you can get. The appropriate wheels will be the 16.5 since you won't get a high enough weight rating on anything in 15". I forgot the size but my buddy went through this last year and even had to replace the crappy original torsion axle.

Usually Bandit's are on leaf springs, from what I've seen. If you could get a set of 17.5" wheels you could run commercial tires that would be bomber in that application.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 250xp is very heavy and is pushing the limits of both the axle and the tires. You need the highest weight rated tires you can get. The appropriate wheels will be the 16.5 since you won't get a high enough weight rating on anything in 15". I forgot the size but my buddy went through this last year and even had to replace the crappy original torsion axle.

Yes, have had no luck finding anything remotely close to being heavy enough in 15". The 16.5 with the extra width and the heavy load rating makes it an odd tire to find. What size and brands are people running? I'm try to drum up some brands and model numbers to give to local tire shops.

It ended up 430 out the door. So that wasn't too bad.

Now I need to find a radiator shop worth a hoot to fix mine on the 250xp.

Anyone put on offroad or flotation style tires on for woods work? 8k lb 15xp with 17.5 rims.

17.5 are limited. 235 I think is the widest.

12-16.5 was very common on chippers in the 90s and are great for flotation. I've got them on an equipment trailer. 4000+ lbs load cap.

Otherwise we've run 285/75/16 at 3750lbs cap and I believe some of the newer 18" sizes get you up towards 4k

Back