chip truck bed

yes it does what its supposed to but you still have to climb in and fork out the front. its worth buying (i got the heavy duty one) for sure but its no dump bed

A truck could last you forever if you want it to. Preventitive maintenance is key.
True,hell I have one that is 30 years old but a little tired after 250,00 plus miles.If a person doesn't mind wrenching on them and can still find parts,who knows how long you can keep them running.I've got 55 year old tractors that still work just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess Ill just put a dump on it then. Will post some pics soon. Its a 97 dodge with the 5.9 cummins , bosch inline pump. First thing I will do is get the trans built, lengthen frame to take a 12' bed add springs or air bags redo front end. Im hoping to end up with a halfway decent chip truck with 4x4 for about $10K

I guess Ill just put a dump on it then. Will post some pics soon. Its a 97 dodge with the 5.9 cummins , bosch inline pump. First thing I will do is get the trans built, lengthen frame to take a 12' bed add springs or air bags redo front end. Im hoping to end up with a halfway decent chip truck with 4x4 for about $10K

You are not unique.
I have seen so many guys do this, and then wish they didn't.

After you are done, you will have put way way more into the truck than if you just got a decent chip truck.

AND, it will cause you more headaches.

I might add that if you're putting the dump on, building a tranny, doing a bunch of fab work to the frame and building the box still. That would be really stretching 10k up here, and I'll assume you're factoring in that you already own the truck as in purchase price on top of the 10k.

Instead of using channel to build your dump sub frame, use angle iron. Put the vertical flanges to the inside of the truck, and let the two channel rails on the bottom of the dump body set into the angle irons. This way the sub frame only adds a half inch to the dump body height. I have seen many one tons set up with the body way up in the air. Makes for a bad chip truck experience, and looks goofy as hell. If you want, I can try to draw a picture of it, but my drawing skills aren't much.;)

Dave

My truck that I posted on the first page of this thread sits quite a nice height I beleive and capacity wise seems just right for a 1 tonne. Not to mention that classy looking wood matches in with the rust quite nicely.:D

Back