Canopy anchors

Eric H-L

Treehouser
Anyone use the BuckSLAP, Flintlocker or homemade soft 8? Do you see any pros snd cons to the subtle differences betweeen these?
I made a homemade soft 8 and played with it the other day. I was sceptical because I thought my cinched alpine butterfly has been working fine. It really does make retrieval easier. I also realized that I can use an adjustable friction saver to do the same thing. Just make it really short.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Friction saver, with an alpine butterfly and carabiner to jam up against it. Usually base tie tho, but it has its place.

I'm not big into canopy anchors, I'll admit....but why would one use the Flint Locker over just clipping a carabiner into a loop and running it up?

46B240C0-36D9-4250-AFA6-8083AF96BDAD.jpeg
Don’t look like 60$+ worth of stuff to me, but I’m a frugal bastard. :)

I’m sure it retrieves and sets easier than a butterfly or whatever knot without hardware, but a large ring, carabiner, or Quickie should set and retrieve just as well.

I also base tie almost everything anyways, unless there’s nothing in the way to keep from isolating the union I want.

A dyneema sling, two rings and a few seconds later you get one of those things. If you prefer you can replace the sling with a piece of rope.
I played with them and as mentioned by Jonny earlier, they retrieve easily but I'm still looking for the advantages over the classic solutions.
My preferred one is a delta maillon in the bight of a butterfly.

IMG_0888.JPG

Back