Cabling the Cracking Maple

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hear hear! :drink:
I don't hear a reason to Give it a basal pruning and replant. The expense would be high.

Darin we have a lot of sweetgum here, but I don't see how they're harder to cable than maple...?

"Assuming no decay inside the cracked area. Then Cable it and reduce both sides over the course of several years."

Both sides need to be reduced immediately because they are failing. There is bound to be some decay in the cracked area--what then?

"well if you havent even seen the tree in person it may not even be an option. the angles may be waaay off for a support system to be effective"

The picture shows enough of the trunk angles to see that cabling is an option. If they are spitting apart they are in approximately the same line. But if it doesn't look feasible when i get there, I'll go do something else. Can't fix em all.

I agree they need to be reduced now. But then you can thin it out somemore over the next 3 years and it might turn out good all around.

Of course there is that always gut feeling to get the big saws out.

I agree they need to be reduced now. But then you can thin it out somemore over the next 3 years and it might turn out good all around.

Of course there is that always gut feeling to get the big saws out.

In cabling situations like this, if it is determined to go with that option, it is important to maintain a moderate density of the crown so that both cabled trunks will move more in unison under wind load. This will be accomplished with reduction, care being given to not remove those annoying interior limbs.

Dave

"I do believe this tree has cast a spell over Guy."

I do believe that the intoxicating smell of 2-cycle in the morning and sawdust lust have inflamed the passions of mb and ne. :P

Dave and aw i promise the tree will not be gutted or thinned now.

Guy I think you should trust your own judgement, Yoo sir Have way more experience than I and most others here. I just pipe up when asked.

No need to doubt your self arborworks... just because one person says one thing, doesn't make it absolute truth.

It's often easier to defer to someone with 'more experience' than to think for ourselves.

jp:D

no need to save all trees but I do recognize the attempt to save those trees that may benefit from such saving.

I suppose it's a noble thought to try and cable that thing ,bolt it togther ,what ever .

Once a maple or any tree gets rotten inside like that it's only a matter of time before it falls .It could be on somebodys noggin .

It have maple a tad smaller than that which is split open in a crotch .It's gonna get turned into firewood this fall and a white oak or hickory put in it's place .

The support won't stop the tree from failing from some other cause , but if i was not high % confident it would stop the defect from failing then i would not bother cabling.

Both sides need to be reduced immediately because they are failing. There is bound to be some decay in the cracked area--what then?

Ground control to Major Tom ???
Installing a cable to prevent failure is like installing a sprinkler system to protect a paper mache collection.

Ground control to Major Tom ???
Installing a cable to prevent failure is like installing a sprinkler system to protect a paper mache collection.
Hey Ground Control,

Plenty of oxygen up here. :D

not sure how to decipher your analogy. How will a cable increase risk?

How will it decrease risk is my honest question ? I've been giving the whole cabling issue a whole lotta head space in the last couple o' days.
In a perfect world, 9 out of 10 cabling jobs could've been avoided with proper tree care. Are we putting our energy & knowledge in the right place ? I don't mean to be fatalistic or negative, but I think it's very important that we're clear with ourselves & our customers as to what can be realistically achieved with cabling.

it's very important that we're clear with ourselves & our customers as to what can be realistically achieved with cabling.
absolutely. read tom's chapter linked in the other thread, and spend $5. on the isa bmp's and you will know a lot more about it. :)

cables are temporary..
so is human life, per your bible quote; what's your point?

Cables can last for decades with no upkeep expense. Often the most cost-effective structural treatment possible.

:)

Back