buying mini in canada and bringing to US

Sean if you pick it up yourself and drive it across the border I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem. There's no registration or license for a mini so how could they make a big deal?

jp:D

Don't tell me about it. I might buy it as a spare. Lol. Sorry no help here. I've shipped equipment the other way but any of the unregistered equipment was new from the dealer and they looked after arranging the shipping.

Sean if you pick it up yourself and drive it across the border I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem. There's no registration or license for a mini so how could they make a big deal?

jp:D

I would think the opposite. If you try to bring things from one country to another, someone is always trying to charge you taxes at the border.

I could see you getting royally screwed on it. I would make some phone calls ahead of time to make sure you don't get any surprises

If you're not buying it maybe pass a link onto me. See if I missed it. I'm a classified junkie.

I had saw that ad. It does look like a decent deal. About five hrs drive and a 1.5hr ferry one way away from me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It looks like more leg protection than the Dingo by a long shot. I wonder if it means less lift capacity to to less leverage for counterweighting operator.

Not sure what you mean by that? I have the 950 the wheeled version of that machine. I bought it new and have laid a beating on it.

The dingo has a fold-up platform. I used the dingo yesterday and today for moving soil and mulch. I am grading a spot for an outbuilding. I was getting my feet piled up with dirt while backblading, and if I spun into something, there's nothing on the side of your legs that would protect you.

Fold up platform? The ramrod you stand on the back so your entire weight is always 100 percent on the machine as a counterweight. Overall I've been very impressed with mine so far (1500hrs). But it's the only mini I've used too. I was looking at that machine if it was closer I'd be going to check it out for sure.

I don't see the issue with "leg protection" on the mini. More an issue when you are walking behind it than on it.
I also like being able to walk behind it instead of riding it on some of our terrain. Seriously. Stepping off and walking behind it a a huge advantage. Only leg protection you need at that point is fold up the plat form as it will smack you if you bottom out.

You can easily run a ramrod by walking behind it too. Having a little more protection on the sides doesn't seem nescessary to me but certainly can't hurt.

Fold up platform? The ramrod you stand on the back so your entire weight is always 100 percent on the machine as a counterweight. Overall I've been very impressed with mine so far (1500hrs). But it's the only mini I've used too. I was looking at that machine if it was closer I'd be going to check it out for sure.

lever arm length/ leverage of the counter weight being farther back.

I don't see the issue with "leg protection" on the mini. More an issue when you are walking behind it than on it.
I also like being able to walk behind it instead of riding it on some of our terrain. Seriously. Stepping off and walking behind it a a huge advantage. Only leg protection you need at that point is fold up the plat form as it will smack you if you bottom out.

ya, doing dirt work, cutting and moving stuff uphill, steeply, I definitely folded up the platform and walked.

If you back or swing your legs into something with any mini, it will hurt. A largely avoidable situation, but potentially very dangerous at the end of a hot, tiring or cold, wet tiring day with poor visibility from rain on the fogged up glasses, etc. The ramrod has some side protection.

May be overthinking this.

My bud, who has done quite a bit of cross border purchasing, says it makes a difference if it was manufactured in US. If it was the brokerage/tax is nonexistent. I did a quick Google on Ramrod. It probably is foreign. Their is a percentage tax/brokerage fee to import. He said the last time he made a big purchase they gave him a "one time exemption." It was a pretty much brand new 6 row corn planter probably worth close to 20 G. Not sure how common the exemption thing is.

Back