Bug eyes?

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 82
  • Views 10K
Nah. The kid had jelly smeared on her face so played around on photoshop.

I tried the fine mesh Bugzs and didn't like them.

When the fine particles get through they stay in the mesh and in your eyes more than the regular med. mesh size.

At least that is how mine were.

I wore mine today. Love them.

I summoned the power of 12 monkeys as I fought through deadwood and Ivy to wreck a euc today.

I've been stabbed three times in the same eye and now I wear Bug eyes, most of the time.

Today I received some mesh safety glasses from Bailey's. Same idea as the Bug Eyez but in glasses style instead of goggles. They are inexpensive so I figured I'd try them out. They may be just the ticket for those hot, muggy days with 98% humidity where ALL glasses lenses fog up.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=62310&catID=137

62310_L.jpg

Ha I like the HUGE arms on them. I already have racing stripes from my regular glasses.

FWIW, my Costa's rarely fog, and I'm guessing less than a 10th of the number of times they fog does anything reach my eye.

The Bugz sponge molding on the sides WILL soak up sweat and act like a sponge keeping the sweat in but I don't have too much of a problem with it.

I actually have 2 pairs for really hot days.

Living in tropical state, i've ordered the foam replacements 2x. Do a good job removing the old gum. You have to order 12 at a time; so having 3 or so to 'rebuild' is fair. If using 'hotter'/90% pure alcohol, i tried to keep the solvent off the rubberized head band, once that starts to go, probably need to replace it or whole goggle. You don't want 'rancid'(from sweat etc.) foam around eyes. The address for the foam replacements are on the pkg.

Hey all,

Just looking for an update on what people are using for fog free eye pro? I see a lot of protos mesh visors these days. I thought I had it all figured out using the mesh glasses or the protos mesh visor, but I still find myself trying to flush tiny shit out of my eyes when I get home. Anyone like the clear plastic visors that mount onto the helmet? I'm starting to think that the aggressive squint is the way to go...

saf304-2-500.gif

Trimax Mesh Safety Glasses

I find the plastic visors very hot, and foggy in warm weather. As soon as I flip it down, I can feel the heat hit my face. I got it(to the tune of $75), so I'll use it when it's cold out, but it won't be replaced when it's expired.

I find the plastic visors very hot, and foggy in warm weather. As soon as I flip it down, I can feel the heat hit my face. I got it(to the tune of $75), so I'll use it when it's cold out, but it won't be replaced when it's expired.
What are they supposed to be for? Splash or bigger pieces of flying debris or something like that?
We have clear plastic ones at the plant for when we smash up corian sheet to throw in dumpsters, bigger sharp pieces go flying sometimes. A mesh visor wouldn’t last 5 minutes, it’s just extra protection... I think we’re supposed to wear glasses under the mesh anyways.

Nice oldie to resurrect Brock.
I probably ain’t keeping my eyes constantly protected, but fog free, and I tend to heat up and sweat and fog up everything when I work.
I got a Protos helmet with these glasses that hide up in the helmet, takes about 1 second to drop them down, I’ll make my cuts, and then when I put the saw down I pop them back up. They fog a little if I leave them down for a while but otherwise fog free. They just kind come down over the temples and rest on the bridge of my nose.
I should try bugz.

20191102_151454-jpg.97436
Sounds like basically the same thing you have Jonny. It's the Petzel Vizir for the vertex vent. It's on the outside of the helmet, and flips down for use, blocking the usual stuff you might find in tree work. The coverage is great, but too hot for me. I wear prescription glasses. so I have some limitations for protection I can use. I like the flip down mesh screen best.

Mesh visors are longer, giving more protection, no fog, and keep rain off your glasses. Obstructs your view a hair with less light getting through, kinda like a light tint job does.

I always kinda viewed a visor as something to keep the chips out of my face. I have the bug goggles, and they are awesome, but they don't actually offer eye protection. A stick can still easily poke your eye out, etc. So I mainly try to wear normal safety glasses, and then drop the mesh visor to keep chips out.

Yup, I got clear ones. That’s all that’s on my Protos. No muffs or face shield. I prefer ear plugs.
Sidenote, comfy helmet that fits my big head even with a winter hat. I like it.

I have a visor mesh but I use it mostly for grinding the stumps. It's always in the way of the rope when climbing and overall, it makes me dizzy looking through it. The small stuff still passes through it and I tend to get more in my eye than with nothing. That's because I feel protected behind it and the eyes stay well opened instead of being almost closed in the dusty situations like cutting overhead.
I tried the safety plastic glasses, but it's foggy, too easily dirtied, scratched / frosted.
An other try was the small clear visor, the size of the safety glasses and integrated in the helmet (it folds back up between the helmet and its web net). Good idea by protecting it inside when not used. But it's tricky to get it down with the gloves and it ends to be badly scratched too by rubbing against the helmet's shell.
No luck.

I generally don't have fogging issues.

I 'cold start'. Wish employees would do it, and only wear their raingear when it's 'really raining', rather than thrash raingear, sweating like pigs under it, dragging brush, not being able to see what's what.

I aim to expend, to a degree, the least physical energy, at the expense of a lot of mental energy. My brain has waaaay more endurance and strength than my back. Generally, I don't find climbing that taxing, even at a fast clip. Sitting in my harness when I get a chance, relaxing muscles.

Almost never will I wear rain gear for dragging and chipping.

Warm and damp, frequently in the winter, ideally never hot.

The closest thing to rain gear I wear is filson oilcloth. I'd rather be wet than wear plastic. I'm pretty much always hot. I've shoveled snow in a kilt, humped gear at work with my shirt off in the snow, and paddled canoe kneeling in water with ice on the boat. It was 40° today and sunny. I had a long sleeve shirt, and an unlined oilcloth vest. I was hauling firewood to my front porch in a wheelbarrow, and I was || close to being too hot. If I were splitting wood, or something like that, the vest and maybe the shirt would have been gone.

I like that cold start...

Bugs are cool for sawdust... I loved them for the old days when I would do saws and spears and sawdust and wind direction... also like Kenny said the glue gives out first and the old sweaty pair is a throw away... I cant believe Kenny said he had 12 pairs on rebuild cycles of 3....

Rain gear... I love Grundens... these red bottoms are the bomb... from wesspur.. they got a pocket in the bib... loosefitting, shed water and don't tear...

The tops are Grindens hi vi yellow and reflectors...

Rolling a very wide pant cuff let lots of air flow... Somewhat like loggers' "stagged", IIRC, pants.
More of a warm weather need.

You get saw chips in your socks.

The type of glasses makes a huge difference with fog. In construction, they don't care about your comfort in the least. Wearing bibs, a welding jacket, a fall harness, a welding cap, a hard hat, and then a hood makes everything fog. I buy metal framed glasses, that actually hold away from your face a bit more than the one piece molded ones. They are not immune to fogging of course, but once they get warmed up with you they don't fog. Sweat may roll off and get on them, but that is controlled by your hat (the wierd stretchy stocking things treestuff sell/ used to? include in your order work great for climbing). With my pancake welding hood, which is basically a pair of goggles, i even go so far as warming it up with the defrost vents first in colder weather, helps a ton. My safety glasses also ride on the dash, so they are ready to go once i step out of the truck.

Back