Buckingham climbers won't stay on Carolina boots...help!

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all. I picked up a pair of Carolina 10" Linemans boots. I work for a utility company and they supply Buckingham climbers. My boots are 9.5 EE where my old Carolina's were regular width. My problem is that the climbers won't stay in front of the heel. It's a 1" 90° heel. I've tried the 4" wide and 4.5" gaffs and neither will suck up into the heel enough. I can tighten the lower strap to the point that my foot hurts and still be able to grab the stirrup and pull it backwards over the heel. Has anyone here had this problem before? Is there a wider climber I can try? The boots are super comfortable, I'd hate to have to get a different pair to climb in. Thanks in advance.

Try wrapping your lower strap around the gaff shank once and snugging it up before you buckle it. If that doesn't do it, start making adjustments on our upper straps. If the gaff pad can move, its also going to move the bottom around under your boot. The problem isn't the boots or gaffs. It's in your strap placement and tension.

Also, try strapping your bottom strap first, then tighten your tops. It almost sounds like you tighten the tops to suit your calves and the result is the problem you have. Shank length needs adjusting if that's the case.

As do I. But I'm wondering if his length adjustment is off as so by making the top comfortable first, he may be forcing the bottom down too low......
?

What Chris said Flash. I worked for Florida Power/Progress Energy/Duke for 34 years and started my pole climbing career in Carolina boots and Bucks too but never had that problem. The boots and climbers are not the issue unless you are a Bigfoot and I see that you're not. You don't want to cut off circulation, but you want your foot straps pretty tight, they will loosen a little as you move in them. I'm sure you're aware, but there is a right and a left, make sure your pads are on the correct climber or "hook" as I'm sure you refer to them. Welcome to the House Zach!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've always put the bottom strap on first then the top. I had a different set for years, but someone aggressively borrowed them. These new ones just seem to have a more "rounded" transition from the vertical iron to the stirrup. It's like the stirrup just catches the very corners of my boot. I can't for the life of me get them up into the heel like my old ones. I'll play around with some of your suggestions tomorrow.

Wrap the bottom strap...but go UNDER the shank first then over the top...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I found my problem. It's the heel on my boots. On my old Carolinas that worked fine, the heel ended almost directly under my ankle. On my new boots it's half an inch longer, so it ends in front of my ankle. The gaffs are at an angle as soon as I put them on. Any toe-down movement just slides them up over the heel. A buddy of mine has a pair of offset Bashlins I'm going to try. After that, it might be "Bandsaw to the Boot" time...

Back