Bucket truck manufacturers -Opinions

Stumper

Treehouser
I realize that there is a real tendency to think that whatever we own or have experience with is the best (unless something was a real piece of garbage) but I'd like some feedback on what you guys like and why. I have the Altec that I got from Skwerl and have run a couple of other Altecs, a Mat3 and an Aeriel Lift of Conn. I liked them all but preferred the Altecs- even the ones with a "backward control"compared to mine. I've seem some Hi-rangers with a cable knuckle that made me a little nervous but note that the newer Terex Hi-Rangers have a pivot pin and hydraulics system. Bottom line, what are your experiences. I'm looking into a used bucket/chip box "Forestry" rig and want to buy smart.

I like my rear mount alc. ive ran an old asplundh truck, not sure what boom. I think its called asplundh. Did not like the cheesy covers running along side the boom. Thing was fragile. Why are you looking into a forestry after running a rear mount?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the welcome.:lol: Yes, what I have is a rear mount and I like the ability to keep the truck more out of the work and the added stability of quad outriggers............but I would like the added efficiency of taking everything to the job at once. Many times making a switch at noon from bucket to chip rig is no issue..........but on other jobs it just kills the efficiency for the day.............but go ahead, convince me to keep the separate rigs if you can. I'm paying attention to the arguments. Current plan is to keep the rearmount material handler but add a Forestry rig and sell the old chip truck.

The Mat 3 is pretty cool.....but it has a retarded electronic brain. If it decides that the boom is causing too much load on any outrigger it sounds an alarm and you must reverse and retrace your route out of that position or it locks up. (At least the unit I used)

I can't add much to this thread, but sure glad to see you dropping in, Justin. You definitely have friends here, as you know.

THanks guys. Life has been hectic but I have missed dropping by occasionally.

That feature on the Mat 3 would be cool if it only engaged when you were overdoing things on side reach with the extend-a -boom out but it was going off at really minor angles!

They dont over center either. To me that is a big must when taliking aerial lifts and tree work. Not being able to over center on the portable lift was brutal at times.

God damn these buttons are small.

We run a forestry truck and a 2 ton chip (f750)truck with a lift gate (two crews with same setups). The forsetry truck mostly just gets used to carry tools or plywood. I really wish we had a rear mount bucket and the 2 ton chip trucks. With the smaller two ton its easy to set up the job, and a rear mount would be the cats ass. The lift gate is nice for loading wood, wheel barrels, etc.

Putting ramps so you could have a mini on the deck of the rear mount would be great. Also having extra toolboxes would be cool.

A nicer chip truck would be cheaper as well as easier to drive and maintain. You could likely buy a big dump trailer, a Gehl and a chip truck for the price of a forestry unit. Then keep mats and tools on the bucket.

Butch, Yes and no. My thought was/is to keep the mat Handler rear mount Altec that I got from Brian and get a forestry rig with a little more reach (60'wh instead of the 55 of the mat handler) and over center on both booms. A newer bucket with greater reach and chipbox etc to run around on a day to day basis and the material handler for special tasks....but I am listening to all suggestions.

So it is probably time to update this thread. No offense intended but you guys weren't much help. It is pretty hard for most of us to get extensive experience with multiple units....So I looked around, rode a couple of more lifts and made a decision. 1999F800 with 5.9 Cummins, 6 Speed and A TEREX XT55 boom. The cheesy boom on the Asplundh Truck that Brendon mentioned was probably an Altec LR3. It is tall, overcenter on both booms yet lightweight......and Cheesy looking and bouncy as all get out. The TEREX XT 55 is a square boom, very solid and they actually make the same boom with a material handler option. The unit I got actually has current certification on the boom but the chip box is rusted out so I 'm spending some $$ on box repair. IMAG0222.jpg IMAG0222.jpg

Back