bucket truck maintenance

sotc

Dormant hero!!
my boom and bucket is getting dirty id like to clean the pitch off, patch small dings and touch up the paint. any idea what to use that wont compromise the die-electric integrity?

Just curious, but in what manner could you clean the boom that would compromise the di-lectric properties?

I would scrub the thing down, maybe use Ajax on the hard spots.

Steel wool, for one, could compromise the dielectric properties. Also, avoid repainting with any type of lead-based or metal flake paint, obviously.

I use "purple stuff" with scotch bright pads and lots of elbow grease.

Small nicks can be filled with bondo, then sanded smooth. Or fiberglass repair gunk for bigger chunks.

Steel wool, for one, could compromise the dielectric properties. Also, avoid repainting with any type of lead-based or metal flake paint, obviously.

I use "purple stuff" with scotch bright pads and lots of elbow grease.

Small nicks can be filled with bondo, then sanded smooth. Or fiberglass repair gunk for bigger chunks.

NO BONDO, it holds moisture.....

Purple stuff works good, as does acetone or laquer thinner. Dings need to be filled with what was on it origionally, fiberglass gel coat..

I got some from a boat place to fix the cracks in the shower floor, same stuff would work on the boom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
good info thanks. didnt know if acetone or gas or such harsh chemicals would break down coatings or materials

my boom and bucket is getting dirty id like to clean the pitch off, patch small dings and touch up the paint. any idea what to use that wont compromise the die-electric integrity?
Oh Ya sell it!:)

Any cleaner i have ever used will rub some of it off, I don't clean the main boom that often, lower boom insert I like to keep clean tho.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i was just reading all the complaints about saw dealers and thought about our local crane shop. i expected a professional job when i asked them to remove the hyd. tool quick fittings and valve, replace the plastic guard across the front of the bucket, and get a rebuild kit for the pistol and adjust it properly. i picked it up the other day to find the valve still attached, one spring replaced in the pistol which is still out of adjustment, the fiber glass piece is a little over half of the size it should be and they glued it in place, theres hyd fluid all over including a puddle on the headache rack and a 3-4' long scrape down to the metal on one side of the truck. im very dissapointed, not that the truck is imaculate but i do try and heep it nice. i understand they arent in the detail business but at least wipe it off and sop the puddles! i started an account with altec yesterday, more to do myself i guess

Damn Willie I'd be pissed. Whether you're a detailing shop or not, it's the details that count in any business. I don't mind a big scratch in my bucket if I did it myself, but no thanks to paying someone else to do it. I've used wax on my boom before to clean/detail it. Same stuff that's recommended for boats and planes called sea to sky I think?

Back