Bolting a Split Tree

Old Monkey

Treehouser
I have been doing more and more cabling and bracing, especially since switching to the dynamic cable Tree Stuff sells. Its a more affordable way to cable in this not so rich market. Anyway, I just got called by a customer and went out to look at an ash tree I pruned 5 years ago. The tree is awesome but has a significant split in the middle(which it had before and it doesn't seem changed to me). I will go back and take pictures later. The two stems that need to be bolted are 24" or less. Too big across for my 3' bit, plus I think I need to go up to 3/4 bolts. I have bits for 1/2" and 5/8" bolts and nothing for 3/4."

Has anyone here gone bigger than 3/4"? Is it worth it? So far I am thinking of buying this bit and going 3/4." I am not sure I will use this bit much, should I put the whole cost of it in the bid? RIght now I am just researching the bid and will get back to them.

A couple of 1/2" or 5/8" bolts spaced a few inches apart will be significantly stronger than a single 3/4" bolt.

Darin, you can buy drill extensions that bolt onto your drill a whole lot cheaper. What dynamic cable system are you using? I charge way mpre for mine as they cost me more

Just a curious dumb question. If you are going dynamic and not static, why drill into the tree when ( I know,touchy),.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am open to suggestions on what the best course of action is. I am consulting the ISA cabling and bracing guide. I will try to get back there next week for some before pictures and some more accurate measurements.

My thought process on dynamic over static in this tree is that 2/3rds of the way up from the defect the branches are less than 8" in diameter and not big enough for lags or through bolts not to weaken them. Also, I lightened up the tree 5 years ago and its doing really nicely. I am going to lighten it up the laterals again, especially on the house side. Despite the split, its a strong tree and I think it can keep swaying in the breeze, strengthening its reaction wood while having just a little extra support during the heaviest wind events.

Brian, I am thinking it needs at least 3 bolts through it.

I use my 3/4" a fair amount, but less often do we pull out the 1".
Large trees sometimes need heavy duty cables and long through bolts in the main juncture.
Here is a picture of my Argentinian friend and welder, Daniel. When visiting he made up the extension on this bit with a deep socket and a section of stainless steel rod.
The bolts were 3/4" by about 7 feet long as I recall.
A big twin trunk oak about 90 foot tall.

LongDrill.jpg

BoltedOak.jpg

That's for 1/2" bolts? I'll have to think about that, there's a lot of tree.

Something else to consider is the material used .Plain steel is around 58,000 PSI tensile ,grade 2 . B16 alloy,chrome /moly/vanadium is 125,00 PSI about grade 5 or better .

Now how well that stuff would last a tree trunk,who knows .It would be a bitch to hit with a saw though if it were removed at a later date .:\:

I made something like that out of all threaded rod and rod couplers with a cut off spade bit on the end .It was in short sections to go across an inaccessable ceiling to fish wires through floor joists .Drill ,screw on a section etc .

Now the trouble with a spade bit verses a twist drill in a deep hole is it won't clear the chips like a twist drill .Even with a twist drill on a rod you would have to drill ,pull it out to clear the chips and repeat a zillion times to get through a big tree .

With a big long ship auger though it would take a bunch of power to run a long bit . Back in my pole jockey days we used a 3/4" Milwaukee drill motor .That SOB could hurt you if it ever got away from you .You'd still have to pull it back every so often to clear the chips . I think the deepest I ever drilled was about 3 feet .

I have had mine through just shy of it's length in willow. Found the other end by making good guess and drilling from the other side.

Yep,old arm breaker hammer drills, hate em .I think the big one I have is a TE 85 or something like that Hilti .I have used same to punch 4.5 inch holes through concrete using a dry core drill .

Long story on the drill .Short side ,like most of my saws the drill was made of parts and pieces from several . Junk yard dawg .:D

I agree with Al, spade bits don't clear the chips. I also think they'd heat up pretty good.

Pete, I may take you up on that bit. I need to swing by and take some measurements and some pictures. I just got back into town and have to do a bazillion bids first.

I welded a piece of rod onto a auger drill bit and made it into a 6 footer. I think it's 13/16" and I used 3/4" all thread.

4bc4a43e-272e-124c.jpg

Here is the 5 plus foot willow with three bolts and two static wires. It split about four feet, almost to the ground. One year later doing very well and swallowing bolts.

Big tree! Pretty, from a distance. Too bad it's a willow...er, sorry, maybe tree bigotry reflects badly on me, but there you have it...:D.

Back