Board Certified Master Arborist

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 88
  • Views 13K
M

Mr. Sir

I just sent in my application to take the BCMA test. I've read about half of the books on the recommended list. Are there any other BCMA's out there who can give me some advice on which areas to study or any other tips for taking the test?

Guy is the only one here that is a Master.

:? Master of what? Paying through the nose for a cert. which has no recognition in any formal educational or scholastic or even professional profession?

Guy is the only one here that is a Master.

:? Master of what? Paying through the nose for a cert. which has no recognition in any formal educational or scholastic or even professional profession?

Good luck with that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I heard you the first time and I beg to differ. The BCMA is recognized as the highest achievement among arborists. It's the PhD of arboriculture. 8)

I repeat, good luck with that!

Attachments

• Yertle_the_Turtle_and_Other_Stories_cover.png
    Yertle_the_Turtle_and_Other_Stories_cover.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 107
Good luck Mr. Sir. A worthy ambition and cert imo. ISA cert'd arbs are held in high regard up here by many, including any municipalities/cities I've dealt with.

Thank you, Frans! Self-improvement is not such a bad thing.

You should try it sometime. ;)

I agree Squisher. I admire those who strive to improve and uphold the standards of professionalism.

Squash, I agree with the 'basic' ISA cert being useful, made me a few bucks last week for two seperate reports I had to do up for tree removal permits in a city (like most here) that requires that the report writer is ISA certified.
The BCMA cert, I dunno, havent seen anyone ask for it so I dont know that its worth anything here, yet. Time will tell.

Without a gentle contempt for education, no man's education is complete.
G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936) British author

I believe that taking the initiative to achieve the highest level of certification in ANY field is a worthy endeavor. I look forward to counting myself among the elite few to have achieved this accomplishment. IMHO, of course. :D

Frans;264350...which has no recognition in any formal educational or scholastic or even professional profession...[/QUOTE said:
I think the CA/BCMA is ONLY a professional accreditation.

I get asked pretty regular if I went to MSU (forestry school) to get my education.

Still, I'm not unhappy with my professional accreditation.

Don't get carried away with generalizations. Not to disrespect dedicated educators, but a lot of people enter the teaching field because they can't "make it" out there in the real world when practicing the trade they are teaching. Book learned skills certainly have a place, but in the manual trades, when compared to methods passed along by folks actually doing the work for a living, the book stuff tends to be only supplementary at best.

Frans is old school I think, and old school is more fun to have beers with :P

Still, I'm not unhappy with my professional accreditation.

Nor am I . I attained two other certs this last year after short courses (allan block wall installer and aquascapes designs 'pond guy'), I am thinking this next couple years I want to get a cert for irrigation systems and possibly some further turf education. oh, and landscape lighting... and more arb stuff, likely at the 2009 chapter AGM as its not that far for me to travel to.

I usually send my email signature (listing my certs) with my first email to a client after that I leave it off.

Frans is old school I think, and old school is more fun to have beers with

Not just old school.... but ornery and old school!;)

:D

I'm old school, and stubborn... but I refuse to be stagnant.

Never stop learning.

Dear Mr. Sir,
I applaud your efforts to continually promote yourself. People who strive to improve themselves and their careers have my deepest respect. Truly.

My remarks are directed to the isa really, and not to you personally.

Sincerely,
Frans

Back