Black Hawk Down

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 2K
F

Frans

Last night I watched some of this movie on the t.v.

I know their are alot of military types here on the TH and I had a question:

A few times it seemed like the commanders gave the soldiers an option of going back into the fight.

Do soldiers really have that option? I thought that if you signed up, and got into a firefight you could not just say "I don't want to fight anymore".
:?

maybe fight your way back out of it if you arent likely to prevail?
I kinda remember the movie, I assumed before I saw it that a fighting force would not leave a living soldier unaided.

Outonalimb Kenn was part of that op. He could probably give you straight answers if hadn't pissadeared.

I am not a soldier but my brother is, Staff sergeant Richard D. Hinman, and I know that with him the fight isn't even close to being over until ALL his brothers are back to safety. He was awarded a Bronze Star in Iraq for saving 2 men from an inferno when a diesel pipeline ruptured and torched. There were several people there but they were repelled by the flames. My brother was about 50yrds away and came running as soon as it happened. Hell, he ran full sprint through the crowd and into the fire and dragged both guys out at the same time. Dudes were charred up pretty bad but alive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the movie is bulls--t ?

Last edited:
TheBranchDoctor the fight isn't even close to being over until ALL his brothers are back to safety

In the movie, this soldier is scared and his commanding officer asks him if he wants to go back into the fight after they had just barely gotten back. His officer gave him the option.

While I have never been into battle, and speaking as an arm chair critic, I sure would hate to have a guy on my team who decided the work/fight was 'too much'. Especially if I was stuck in enemy hands.

I cannot conceive of leaving a fellow behind. THATS the time to really knuckle down and kick some ass and get my friend back. Sure I might die also, but the thought of me being in the captured soldier's shoes is even worse.

So thats why I said the movie was bull. My experience is marines don't do that. Period.

But I don't know for sure if this was a hollywood type movie, or if the marines allow this.

Recently some National Guardsman complained about having to go to Irac, they said they had not signed up for actual battle. Shoulda been shot IMO.

So thats why I am asking
????

I didn't see the movie but I read the book. I don't remember anything like that except for when some had returned to the airport and they were putting together a scratch company for the rescue convoy. It's been a while but I think I remember some of them being given the option to join the convoy.

That was a bitter fight without any of the kind of advantages Rangers are trained to take advantage of... it was in DAYLIGHT in the heart of indian country. It was a frickin' hornet's nest.

My understanding of NG is they ARE supposed to fight while reserves are rear area. Hell, the military is spread so thin now we'll be using mall security guards before long... next thing ya know, we'll have to start drafting Canadians!

huh, maybe that was the part of the movie I saw, Blinky. There was a huge airplane in the background.

Well that makes me feel better about all that.

Why the hell not draft Canadians? They just might like being in all that sunshine.

:)

heck, us canucks are busy fighting in Afghanistan, aint like the few soldiers we do have arent doing their part. ;)

Christ Frans, They were not Marines. 3/75 Rangers, and some CAG guys. Yes the movie was normal Hollywood BS. A little over a 100 guys fought for 18 hours against several thousand folks who were trying to kill them. No possible way a movie could convey what went on that day. One of the all time biggest ass whippings ever delivered by American soldiers, and it barely made the papers when it happened. Marines:?

sorry to ask Wiley but whats the definition of : 3/75 rangers and CAG guys?

My military lingo appears to be lacking.

sorry to ask Wiley but whats the definition of : 3/75 rangers and CAG guys?

My military lingo appears to be lacking.

Combat Application Group - commonly referred to as 'Delta's" or Delta Force.

Third Ranger Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment

Frans, it is a Hollywood movie, so they will obviously take artistic liberties to create what the director or writers perceive to be dramatic.

My brother was an Army ranger. He told me once that ARs do not go back into battle for wounded, whereas Marines would always go back.

I know not really related to the question, but I found it interesting.

Can anyone else shed any light on this?

That sounds counter-intuitive to anything I've ever experienced Top. That's one of our defining traits.

I thought he was asking him not if he wanted to go back into battle but instead was asking him whether he was battle ready or was he too severely wounded to return to battle.

I have a childhood buddy that is in the air force (USAF) after he had spent his first number of years in the forces he told me that most marines were pretty much nuts. I dont think he meant that in a derogatory way, fwiw.
He is 18 years in now, master seargent rank coming up next month. :)

My brother was an Army ranger. He told me once that ARs do not go back into battle for wounded, whereas Marines would always go back.

I know not really related to the question, but I found it interesting.

Can anyone else shed any light on this?

I have a bud that works for the government and that's the way he understands it, too. The Army will leave you but the Marines will get you out.

Back