Black Diamond Megatron carabiners

Kiwi

TreeHouser
Anyone tried these? (misspelled name in the thread heading - should be 'Magnetron')
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en...[/B]-rocklock-carabiner-BD2102870000ALL1.html
They have a pair of magnetic clips that keep the spring-loaded gate closed unless both are squeezed open by thumb and forefinger.

After seeing posts about auto-screwlock carabiners getting (partly) opened by rolling against a branch, I bought a pair of these Magnetron carabiners for my new lanyard. They make it very easy to open the 'biner with one hand.
But, after only about 5 tree-climbs, when I was ready to climb down (it was getting dark), one of them jammed closed while I was about 20 feet up the tree. After futzing with it for about 10 min, I was starting to think about cut my nice new lanyard, when it finally opened.
I took it back to the store and the owner gladly replaced it. It's a new product and he had had no experience with it. It also malfunctioned in his hands - seemed like one of the two clips was not opening as intended because it had a small burr on one side.
This sure showed the security of the closed position ... but, it needs to open when required! I've replaced the Magnetron carabiner on the non-adjustable side with a Petzl ball-lock 'biner..

Last edited:
Back