Biodiesel fuel and truck conversion

It's pretty common to "prime" diesel fuel filters with ATF it keeps the fuel system from aerating it make them easier to start after filter replacement, it's not as big of a problem on equipment with electric fuel pumps as opposed to a manuel lift pumps. ATF does lubricant and clean I haven't heard of any problems running it in older diesels. I run it and cetane every few tanks in my 7.3l.

For years I watched my uncles and dad change oil or hydraulic fluid in there trucks or equipment and carry the drain pan straight back to the fuel tanks and pour it in. I don't remember them having anything other than what I consider common problems. I wouldn't recommend that or bio-diesel on any modern diesel that I know of.

Crazy. Anyone have any recommendations on how to filter used oil so it would be ok to add to a 7.3?

1st I've heard of filling fuel filters like that. I'd have never have thought it was a 'method'. Learn something new everyday. Or almost everyday anyways. Lol.

Know any dairy farmers? They use a sock to filter any dirt out of the milk. Warm oil would probably flow through fairly quick. I have filtered hydro oil and come to think of it new motor oil. I bought a 5 gallon of Rotella and some schmuck had pulled off the seal cap and dumped something in it. Fairly coarse, whatever it was. Filter seemed to get it all out. I should check the cap every time I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. Sounds like its too much of a hassle for what its worth. I was mainly curious on it as we are in need of a 2500 size truck, so I thought about selling my VW GTi and getting a 2500, and was looking into ways to keep the diesel cost down in my daily driving and especially on trips. Probably gonna keep the GTi for the moment though. Thanks for the info!

You need a centrifugal filter system as normal filtering doesn't work , there are lots of fine carbon particles that don't get removed and clog your fuel filter up quick .

Back