binoculars

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK seems to be a trend right now of TIPs breaking. I have been meaning for a while now to buy a set of binoculars so now seems like a good time to do it. Any advice on what to get as I know dick about them. 10/20 7 20 etc etc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So indulge me the 10x25 means 10 times magnification and what does the 25 mean. Seems like you would want high magnification but wouldnt need a wide field of view to see a rope in a crotch right? I dont know just asking

I like a wide field so I can find my way around in the field. When looking far up into a canopy, sometimes it is hard to spot just what branch I am seeking.

buy water resistant or water proof binocs.

I'm with frans. Except I'd go a notch higher. Only buy water proof binoculars. Sometimes water gets in and it never gets out.

If you have a small field of view, all the branches really look the same when you're lookiing that close.

the bigger the second number the more light is allowed in, the better for viewing in a dark canopy

I have a monocular which is about to see more action....fits in your pocket, 8x25?

The first number is the power magnification, the second number is the size of the objective lens. Generally a larger objective lens (large second number) means better low light performance.

This can be an important factor when you are trying to see something in the shadows. Waterproof is a good idea! Anything under $200 is considered inexpensive in the binocular world but should function fine for our use.

The tiny little pocket binoculars tend to have tiny little performance. Nikkon makes a standard size binocular, 10 X 50, for $179, waterproof (Cabellas)

Dave

The first number is the power magnification, the second number is the size of the objective lens. Generally a larger objective lens (large second number) means better low light performance.

This can be an important factor when you are trying to see something in the shadows. Waterproof is a good idea! Anything under $200 is considered inexpensive in the binocular world but should function fine for our use.

The tiny little pocket binoculars tend to have tiny little performance. Nikkon makes a standard size binocular, 10 X 50, for $179, waterproof (Cabellas)

Dave

80-150 ft....cheap is good..???

ive had several cheapos before and have sworn to never buy one again. im looking for lifetime guarantee. .02

80-150 ft....cheap is good..???

The catch with the pricing on binoculars is the lower priced units can lack clarity. When you are trying to find where a 2 mm line is resting when it is 80 to 150 ft up, clarity is a good thing.

Dave

The first number is the power magnification, the second number is the size of the objective lens. Generally a larger objective lens (large second number) means better low light performance...

There ya go.

I bought a set of Nikon Monarch 8.5x56's for dad. They are a good bang for the buck, but my Swaro 8x30 mono beats them.

Sorry but isn't the instability of a limb generally unlikely to be seen from the ground even with optics?

I just have a couple of groundies and myself try to break the branch before I ascend...

I have Tasco 8x30 from about 15-20 years ago, waterproof, they have done very well..they were about $150 then...they also have a built in compass which is often handy, too...bearing shows in the top of view.

Minolta 10x42 weathermatics, 15 years old and still fine. I don't keep'em in a case or anything, leave'em in the back seat, throw stuff on top of'em, whatever.

Back