best year for 250 xp

thattreeguy

TreeHouser
hey all,
a friend in so cal is looking to buy a chipper, for him its a once in a lifetime thing
he's older and it's his retirement, and wants to search out 1 that is just right.

he was curious if there was a certain year/years that were especially good, or years to avoid

i had recommended the bandit 250 xp with the 116 hp cummings motor, there are some others rated up to 140 hp, anyone disagree with my rec, is there a better motor ?

he is in so cal, and i recommended this cause i know it'll eat things up, BUT how bout palm fronds , euc , and other things, do they hang up in it? the trees are different down there, than here..for me bay is hell in my feed wheels.

suggestions or comments are appreciated so i can advise him decently,

would a bc 1000 or a morbark with a single feed wheel be any better than the bandit?

Unless he's planning on chipping whole logs larger than 12", then the BC1000 should be plenty. I've used one and it chips amazingly well for a smaller machine, and it only weighs 4500 lbs. I think that once you get up into the 14"-15" machines then the weight is a negative factor unless you're towing it with a Class 5 truck or larger.

My 15x woodsman weighs just shy of 7000. The bc1000 does chip pretty well, I abused a sunbelt rental model for a few days some time ago.

Don't you guys in California have to worry about increased emissions requirements? I thought most of the older chippers will not pass in the coming years. I used a 250 XP quite a bit in the Bay Area. It was a great machine. It was OK on palm fronds if it was sharp. When it jammed though, it was a real pain to get unjammed. I like drum chippers better.

Dave you may want to look at the Bandit 150XP 12" chipper. 17" X 14" infeed opening, I believe up to 140hp and very light and compact with only a 35" wide infeed tray. If I was to build another chipper/ stumper, dump trailer unit I would go with the 150XP.

Willard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
uhhh yeah
but there was a break in the manufacturing years in the 90's, where a few parts got switched, and i have the older one.

Back