Best size Splicing Wand

I do not use a wand, but I just splice double braid and hollow braids with a tubular fid or wire basket fid. Tho I have used piano wire with good success.

I would love a wand, just can't justify the price. I have thought about trying to make one out of brake line or something tho

I've got the medium, works for most arborist double braid splices. If you do 16 strand it would be helpful to get the "arborist" one, the one I have isn't long enough to do the full bury.

The diameter of the medium is already a tight fit on some tight braided lines. Would not recommend the large for that reason

I have a Brian Toss wand but honestly, I think I have used it 2 or 3 times.

I just use some piano wire, made them myself and you can choose the length.

Attachments

• YaleWand.gif
    YaleWand.gif
    41.4 KB · Views: 2
I think it would work ok on some larger diameter double braids, but piano wire type fids seem to work better on the smaller diameter ropes. The Yale fid would be harder to push through tighter fibers requiring more seperation. Like anything smaller than 1/2 line would start to be problematic

I've used it on 3 stand with good results, but mainly hollow braids. Use it once to make a loopie sling and it pays for itself, and since hollow braids are easy to pick a strand, it works really well.

I did hear that. From sailing to trees to industrial rigging and some heavy writing and inventing, dude left his mark on the world.
Rest In Peace.

Back