Basic 372 porting step by step

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
I dont agree with some of the stuff or how it is, but it will give you guys that have never seen inside one to look at a idea of the basic woods port.

#1-#13 and finish video talk is to keep EPA away BS I bet, comp use only, dont use to go log with LOL http://www.youtube.com/user/radougan120955#g/u

TW what do you think of the timing light? I've never seen that done on chainsaw like that.

I always like watching his vids when he sellls a saw on e-bay. I didn't know he was into porting also. Those are top of the line tools he was using. I would hate to see what a cylinder would look like if I used those coarse cutting bits. You have to have a steady hand and a good eye when using those babies they are made to remove material quick and fast. You don't get a second chance if you goof. I would have had a big hole in the side of that closed tranfer if that was me using those tools.:lol:

I liked the timing light thing too. What is the purpose of it???? Is there a certain fin on the flywheel that can be marked to see if the timing is right? If there is one this would be a new one to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would have had a big hole in the side of that closed tranfer if that was me using those tools.:lol:

That's what JB weld or better products are for. ;)

TW what do you think of the timing light? I've never seen that done on chainsaw like that.

Guess he must be advancing the timing some, otherwise no point to it. Myself I would rather go for the gains in porting and not touch the timing. Lots of times seen it used as a bandaid solution to a port job that was not quite right... But thats just me. Nice setup to cut the side cover open, I had been starting them then pulling the side cover carefully off the saw at idle to set the timing light on it.

Would hope he also chamfered the ports, an importaint detail that I did not pick out from the video.

He left alot of things out. To me he did anyway. Maybe on purpose . If your getting paid to do this why share all your stock and trade secrets with the whole internet world. I don't know the man nor have I dealt with him. He seems to have just a full time saw shop and makes a living at it. I dunno if he does anything else or not.

I bet many people see these vids and the next thing you know we have some butchered up cylinders because it looks so easy:lol:

I'm just barely smart enough to realize that I'm not smart enough to port a saw as well as somebody like Timberwolf. I am much happier sending him my saw and a few dollars knowing that I'm getting back exactly what I want with no fear of ruining the saw.

I'm just barely smart enough to realize that I'm not smart enough to port a saw as well as somebody like Timberwolf. I am much happier sending him my saw and a few dollars knowing that I'm getting back exactly what I want with no fear of ruining the saw.

I agree. It will cost you close to the same amount by the time you buy the tools needed, and you won't get the same results as someone who has honed his skills by doing dozens of them.

Well truth be known if you don't have the desire chances are you never will learn .If you do and have tenacity chances are you will .

In a way I can totally relate to that .If it has a screw ,bolt, nut or any moving part no matter what is ,I can fix it .Chainsaw to battle ship and every thing in between .However on a freakin computor with so many mouse clicks and BS that runs you around in circles my patience is limited to about 2 minutes flat .Got me a wizard to work on that machine .No big deal just a difference in people .:)

Don't sell yourself short Brian. As much as you pay attention to details you would do a good job at porting a saw if you had the tools to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This was only posted so you guys get the idea what one is doing when grinding on ports etc. What I seen done in this video is what I would call just roughing everything in. Not the final finished product of stuff that wasnt shown. ;)

I just don't have the patience or the time to play with porting. Maybe once the kids are grown and I want a hobby as a saw shop to supplement my retirement. But I would still have to overcome the patience aspect.. :lol:

I would still have to overcome the patience aspect.. :lol:
:) Patience is something that people different levels of .

Jay for example can fiddley fart around for weeks on end with hand tools making one of those art forms of fine funriture .If I can't make cabinets or woodwork using power tools it doesn't get done, period .

It could take a week or so reworking a saw engine .Machining to do often ,waiting for parts etc .Misplacing those parts which will drive you bonkers .Piddle with it a while and walk away if you have to cool your jets .It's not a race ya know .;)

What I seen done in this video is what I would call just roughing everything in. Not the final finished product of stuff that wasnt shown.

I agree, likely would have been good to have made it more clear that it was not the finnished product as there were still a lot of rough spots and things that looked like they could stand a little more evening up.

There were a few things I do differently on that saw, only because I did them much the same way then found there was a better way that gave more power with less change to the actual cylinder.

None the less hats off to the guy, a lot of work to put DIY videos together and takes some guts as they are open for everyone to pick at.

As for giving secrets away, I have seldom found it to be much a problem. I'd say there are about 4 groupings of people working on engines:

-Those that just don't get it and likely never will, giving them info changes what they can do very little.

-Those that get a bit of a handle on it, but not to the level of really understanding wats going on which kind of limits how far they will take things. These are the guys that make the ports wider, raise the exhaust 1mm, lower the intake 2mm and advance the timing half the width of the flywheel key. Sure some of them open up shop and build saws, but a lot of problems and hit or miss outcomes. These guys often get bits of info, but often is simply miss applied. Recently recieved a saw to rework for some one, were talking a work saw with nearly 200 degs exhaust duration, almost as much on the intake and compression in the 130s. Sad saw even with muffler opened up was truely worse than stock.

-Then there are the guys that will get there anyway, they got the smarts, do their homework, equip their shop, some of them don't share much, they figure they got there on their own and everyone else should too. Downfall of this, is they don't get the full benifit of info that is share behind the open forums.

-The last group is the ones that understand engines have the shop together to do the work, but they bounce ideas and such back and forth with others, like a team of experts working on a problem sharing information.

Sure there is a time and place to keep quiet, someone passes a good idea along, best not to start a thread comming off like it was your idea.

:) There are no new ideas ,just older ones brought to light with a slightly different approach on things .

Take for example external boost ports ,New,no way .McCulloch MC 70 kart engines used them in the 60's and Britsih built Villers motorcycles in the 50's .

The holy grail of two cyles,resonance tuned intake and exhaust .They've chased that pot of gold for decades and many have claimed to have found it but none have as yet .

If step by step details were published with known good performance enhancements done to an engine no two people would get the same results .

All of my saws are ported. My oldest one is a 2001 Husky 346 which I've used and abused. It still has great compression but has been suffering from carb issues lately. With my experience of over a dozen ported saws, my opinion is that porting does not shorten the life of the saw at all. In fact I have found that they seem to last longer since they don't get overheated from plugged up mufflers. Also, if you've spent the money on porting your saws then you're more likely to use a better mix oil, perhaps even a synthetic. This will make a huge difference in the life of your saw.

I was wondering, how long a competition saw will last before a rebuild is needed?
What. a true alkie burner ? Probabley not long in terms of hours running . On the old kart engines it was about 10 races more or less .Now that's approx 3-5 minutes per heat race and longer on a 20 lap feature depending on the track .

I really am only speculating but assume on a racer most likely they would become somewhat obsolete and be sold off before they blow apart .These guys who really take that seriously are always looking for the next hotter saw and spend a fortune doing so .

On a modded work saw it's doubtfull in decreases the life much if any .

Thanks Al, yeah I was thinking of true competition saws, you know like the motocross bikes with engines so on the limit that they only last one race meeting.

A saw at true competition level is likely going to require a new piston every season for someone who makes 10-20 shows a year. Pushed right out to the limits piston life could well be measured in mins and secs.

Pushed right out to the limits piston life could well be measured in mins and secs.
:lol: That reminds of the old coot in the movie " the worlds fastest Indian " .He made comment to that young boy as contemplating over a shelf full of grenaded pistons that they were just sacrifices to the piston "god " .

Back