Bar Storage

bullbrauch

Absolute FNG
Gang,

Looking to see what you all do handy portable bar storage. I've been hopping around between different trucks and all over the place and want to put something together to keep my different size/spare bars in to protect them and make them easy to grab. Just wondering if ya'll have any thoughts.

Thanks,
B

I keep mine in paper sleeves, and carry them with my stuff. If I wanted to do something more "professional", I'd stitch up a bag using the leg of an old pair of pants, and add drawstrings and straps as required.

edit:
For a hardsided case, I might make one out of spruce. Hinged lid, and lined up edge up. A few maintenance items on the end with the shorter bars.

Last edited:
I kept all my long bar 404 chain submerged in a five gallon bucket of diesel fuel.

What's good for the chain's?

Jomo

Dampen them in light spray oil to keep rust at bay, then store in heavy ziplock bags, which will not evade cuts and leaks...then store those leaky bags in a shallow leftover container with a tight fitting lid.

Beef jerky ziploc bags are good for chains of east coast size. Heavier than grocery store ziplocs, and are 100% post consumer recycled content.

edit:
Y'alls throwline storage trick would work good with chains, especially the long ones. 2.5G bucket with frisbee trays stacked to hold chains. Color code the frisbees for size/type.

Last edited:
I've got 4-5 spare bars in my truck, stored in plastic bar sleeves, in my saw compartment.

I run all 3/8"--- 0.050, ms261 and up, so they all fit any saw.

Dampen them in light spray oil to keep rust at bay, then store in heavy ziplock bags, which will not evade cuts and leaks...then store those leaky bags in a shallow leftover container with a tight fitting lid.

Not living in the PNW, and being a logger my bars don't last long enough to rust. ;)
I have a large built in toolbox in the back cabin of the trucks, that the dogs ( Dog, now!) sleeps on top of.
I keep them in that, like Jerry said.
At the bottom.

My mistake.
Goes for chains too:
Better to burn out than to rust.

Neil Young I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A length of retired 3 or 4 inch fire hose works well.
Burnham,

Thanks! I've actually got some 2 1/2" and 3" that might work perfectly! I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. I do routinely keep them lubed.

Thanks for all the funny and light-hearted remarks as well, gave me a much needed giggle. Bouncing around between trucks has caused me to leave them laying in the toolbox only to show up and want a different bar or terrified that I might need to rescue my own bar and not have spares.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Brandan

You are most welcome, Brandan. Glad to be able to offer helpful advice, and glad to be able to offer a bit of humor.
:)

Hanging on nails or screws in my garage .They don't rust ,al least not yet .However I do have a 16" loop of .325 I used to cut the roots of oak trees while digging a ditch for a propane line I need to toss in a bucket of kerosene and file before I hang it up .Geeze a 100 foot oak has some big roots and lots of them .

And here I only thought you listend to classical! Tisk, tisk. ;)

I pretty much don't listen to music made after 1970.
When Joplin, Hendrix and Morrison kicked the bucket, that ended good music for me.

Grateful Dead, the Pogues and Bonnie Raitt being exceptions.

Of those, only Bonnie is left................sigh!

Back