Attaching Hitch Climber to web bridge

Robert P

TreeHouser
This Weaver Cougar comes with a web bridge - you think a Rock Exotica Pirate D carabiner - or pretty much any D or oval locking carabiner will do the job to attach a hitch climber system to it? With the Pirate D I envision using the wide end for the bridge. Or is there another way you'd recommend to do it? I ask about the RE Pirate simply because it's what came with the flipline I got from WesSpur and seems like a decent carabiner.

Thanks.

WEAVER_COUGAR_SADDLE.png

ROP.jpg

I don't think the bridge is fixed. It looks a lot like a Buckingham saddle I used to have. It's a pain to get off. You have to undo the adjustment straps. This will leave you with just the bridge attached to the leg straps. You then have to take the buckles off of the leg straps. Now you have the bridge, the two rings and the two short pieces of webbing that run from the rings to the leg straps. You can figure it out from there. Like I said, it is a pain, but it's doable.

I wish I had a pic for you, but I rode a screw link on my cougar for a long time.
You can add to the bridge, you just have to work through it like a replacement.. bit of a PITA though.
Now when that bridge is done, you can replace it with webbing again or make a rope bridge just by using some rope you will probably already have. If you do that, much easier and then a rigging plate is cool. Gives you more connection points as well.
You can also "liger" a cougar saddle for more adjust-ability. I never "liger-ed" mine as just adding a rope bridge and a DMM Bat Plate works fine for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think the bridge is fixed. It looks a lot like a Buckingham saddle I used to have. It's a pain to get off. You have to undo the adjustment straps. This will leave you with just the bridge attached to the leg straps. You then have to take the buckles off of the leg straps. Now you have the bridge, the two rings and the two short pieces of webbing that run from the rings to the leg straps. You can figure it out from there. Like I said, it is a pain, but it's doable.
You could be correct, I don't actually have the saddle in hand yet, I was going by my impression of what it looks like.

Apparently Buckingham came out with a Puma which is supposedly a copy of the Cougar.

Same for the web bridge...
Excellent. Thanks. Kind of a chore but seemingly not something that would need to be done frequently. I'd definitely take pics while taking it apart to make sure it goes back together correctly.

Excellent. Thanks. Kind of a chore but seemingly not something that would need to be done frequently. I'd definitely take pics while taking it apart to make sure it goes back together correctly.

It should come with instructions, my puma did. Once u do it u it won't be as challenging as it may seem. Biners are fine on the bridge but if u are using a hitch climber pulley having a ring on the bridge will keep the system oriented front to back instead of left to right if that makes sense or matters to u.

Also without a ring on there a biner may have the tendency to get stuck over one of those rubber stoppers on the bridge

Biners are fine on the bridge but if u are using a hitch climber pulley having a ring on the bridge will keep the system oriented front to back instead of left to right
The biner on the pulley will be attached to the ring/screw link/biner on the bridge to maintain the orientation.

It's not a big deal to install a ring on the webbing bridge, according the Weaver's instructions the bridge is to be replaced every 6 months. I installed a large aluminum ring, I will often tie in with two different climb ropes for positioning and consolidates everything nicely at the bridge, and still allowing for movement along the bridge.

IMG2365.jpg

Back