Are Homeowner Class Chippers Any Good?

lxskllr

Treehouser
Been debating on a chipper. Something like the HarborFreight model, or the local consignment shop has a Craftsman atm. Are they worth the ~$500 they cost? This wouldn't be for any kind of commercial use. Just something to get rid of ≤2" limbs, vines, and misc little stuff. Anything bigger than that I can burn in my stove. Starting to get overwhelmed here. The piles under the pines are ok enough, but the limb production is exceeding the decay rate. The other option is a half barrel, and burn the stuff. Haven't found a barrel yet though.

So, are they junk regardless of cost, or are they worth about $500 for my stated usage?

No. You can find barrels on craigslist, take a pickax and punch your holes. Don't attempt to cut a barrel, get one that has a bolt on lid. Don't weld or cut one either, doing it wrong will literally kill you. You can also go get some wire mesh, either the rebar type or even some hog panel type, and roll that into a burn pit. Or buy a cnd chipper and go that route. You can also rent one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool, thanks Kyle. That's what I wanted to hear. Sometimes gratis isn't worth cost when it's an endless frustration :^)

No. You can find barrels on craigslist, take a pickax and punch your holes. Don't attempt to cut a barrel, get one that has a bolt on lid. Don't weld or cut one either, doing it wrong will literally kill you. You can also go get some wire mesh, either the rebar type or even some hog panel type, and roll that into a burn pit. Or buy a cnd chipper and go that route. You can also rent one.

How is cutting/welding a barrel dangerous?

How is cutting/welding a barrel dangerous?

They often (usually) contain flammable/ explosive substance, which is concentrated because it's in a drum, possibly to an explosive concentration. Countless people have been literally ripped in half trying to cut or weld on drums without knowing exactly how to do that safely. I've seen pictures, it's ghastly, like heads cleaved completely in half.

Once this rain moves out, I’ve got two brush heaps to burn. Tried lighting one a few weeks ago. Still too much moisture underneath.

They often (usually) contain flammable/ explosive substance, which is concentrated because it's in a drum, possibly to an explosive concentration. Countless people have been literally ripped in half trying to cut or weld on drums without knowing exactly how to do that safely. I've seen pictures, it's ghastly, like heads cleaved completely in half.
Good to know. I was concerned about maybe toxic paint or something because I cut holes in one with an angle grinder. It was filled with olive oil, so not a huge concern. The left over oil only flared up about 2min into the first burn. I have blown up a quart rubbing alcohol bottle after using the last of it. I sqweezed it a few times to get fresh air in it, shook it to vaporize the last couple drops, then stuck a fuse in the cap's hole. It made quite a bang.

around 1982 somebody I was aquainted with had an accident cutting a barrel and died of burns. Not a close friend but it shook me to the core because I looked up to him and it was unexpected. I had not thought of him for years until I saw Kyle’s warning. This is real.

Last edited:
Back