Anyone Familiar with Home Networks/File Servers?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I say not expandable, lets say we have a 5x4TB setup in RAID 6, roughly 12GB of usable space. If I wanted to add another hard drive to expand the array, I could, but I would have to back the existing data up elsewhere, install the drives (wipes the array), and then put the data back. unRAID can be expanded by adding another disc. If I'm mistaken and RAID can be expanded while maintaining the data, that would be sweet. Being able to expand as I go is highly attractive, hopefully unRAID will support dual parity drives in the future. With a large array (100TB, for example), a rebuild could take days. I already have 6TB in RAID 0, connectable via Thunderbolt.

Raid 1 is seriously expensive. unRAID not striping means even if it can't rebuild, you've only lost the data on those drives, vs the whole array.

Budget wise, I'm currently trying to say grace over the mower I bought, which is going well considering. The order with Apple is a staggering amount, which doesn't include the storage solution... work will have to keep picking up. Then again, $4k of the bill is for iPads and Heather's laptop, and two of the iPads are for the kids who have a birthday next month... and I'll have 18 months at 0%...

I meet with the accountant tomorrow, hopefully we can get an idea if quickbooks will do what I want, integration and streamlining is going to be very important for the future of my company. I'll have to look at the expense like that. Spending money on advertising and business stuff isn't nearly as much fun as new equipment!

It's relative. That $4.1k is 2 64GB iPad Minis, 1 128GB iPad Air, and a 13" Mac Book Pro Retina. By comparison, my laptop I'm on now cost me $4200, and the iMac setup (extra screen, mounts, etc) is $4900. I want 2 extra screens, but that may have to wait. 3 27" monitors would offer plenty of room for laying out spreadsheets, editing videos, etc etc.

Still, this laptop should still be comparable to an entry level laptop several years down the road. The current high spec laptop like mine is $300 cheaper with 1/3 bigger SSD. I figure the iPads will last the kids several years. Levi still uses his Kindle Fire, which was bought in 2011.

Google the issues folks have with Quickbooks on Apple.
I'm not sure if it has improved, but I heard a lot of crying about staying with Windoze because the Intuit issues with Mac were too great.

Thanks, Pat. I'll do some research!

Yep, MB. Gotta pay to play, I suppose. Our two 5S iPhones were ~$1100 in October, the monthly bill for my phones and my folks is around $250. On that note, I hope the next iPhone has more storage available, I use my camera like a fiend. Heather's laptop and the two Minis are reasonable. The iPad air is nearly a grand, but I'll sell my 3 and recoup some portion of that. Still, the iPad integrated with the office could be a powerful, profitable tool for getting business done vs "just doing tree work".

LSI RAID controllers can expand array during use/box up running a business, so robust can even reboot thru if needed!
Can set performance hit for the background 'reconfig' of the array.
All ways and always have EXTERNAL backup; and be ready to go olds-cool and have backup to image to new array.
Should always have redundancy, HD is 1st point of fail, especially as old world motor in an otherwise solid state box.
>> so RAID_0 is out of picture
Parity RAID levels 5,50 aren't favored for OS, as must calculate parity for every write to HD's;
OS array, especially Windows has constant writes for virtual paging of memory, registry etc.
RAID_6 , 60 with double parity calcs of different types bogs box even more than RAID_5 etc. handling OS
Parity calc is a real overhead, best if use only on controller with cache memory to help with the overhead of the parity calc.
You can expect the RAID_5 to move faster the more drives/ wider the stripe like a RAID_0......
Until about HD_8 or 9 added, then, the parity calc is so big, array moves slower.
ON old RAID_4, was the same as RAID_5, only parity calc# was all on last HD, which got burned out faster, and made bottleneck
Parity is real overhead.
Mirror RAID_1 or 10 more expensive to deploy, but best for OS array, and then cheaper to deploy RAID_5 etc. for data on back end if mostly READS not WRITES.
HD's do make a difference, SAS have better motors, 2x as much circuitry board, full duplex, faster,less vibrations(cabinet of sata HD's can make slower array by 1 HD vibes making other HD arm take longer to track to data!) last like 2-3x longer etc. etc.
If you put a SAS connector on sata HD, lasts the same lifespan, put the SAS($) firmware on it and it seeks better, and lasts about 2x as long!!!
SATA, cheaper, half duplex, no err checking. SATA originally okayed in RAID_5 of 3 x 50g drives etc., but we are so far beyond that, rebuilding a RAID_5 on sata is really risking array fail more and more. SATA are more 8x5 weekly HD's, SAS are the real 24x7's. SATA in such a use usually 1yr warranty, SAS hd's generally more!
Scrubbing thru array with Consistency Check monthly and before reconfig advised, to make sure array consistent/pristine. Array typically single fault tolerant, so want 'perfect' array , so if HD fails etc. it is the ONLY point of fail in single fault tolerant strategy.
Else, have 2 faults and array punctures, then replicates that in parity block(if array still functions at all), so now 3HD's have fault...
If puncture array and puncture is in backup and redeploy to brand new everything, would still have puncture in backup and can bring to new hardware like bringing a VIRUS back. The VIRTUAL bad blocks on HD seen as PHYSICAL bad blocks, and can even throw predictive fail flag; that can't be withdrawn, and no other warning when HD really has HARDWARE fail imminent.

If Kenny had made up the secret code used by the Japs in WW2, the outcome of the war might have been different. The navy's code breakers figured it out.

Japan was preping a major offensive at AF, the US took a gamble and sent a fake uncoded message from Midway saying the distillers were broke, Japan forwarded that message to their intelligence saying AF had water shortage. US gathered at midway before Japan and the rest is history.

Previous was pretty specific to server/enterprise storage game with RAID level options
RAID:Redundant Array of Independent Disks.
number of HD's seen as 1 volume, with Redundancy/can lose 1 HD(sometimes more) and keep going , except RAID_0 Level
Storage/ HD's is usual bottleneck( and point of FAIL/where the rubber meets the road);
Pulling from more than 1HD can speed up, mitigating bottleneck!
Cache/holding place, can store commands in buffer when CPU busy etc., help with calculations.
then when CPU not as busy give commands to CPU for better performance; by better management.
Also considerations of Hard Drive choices working in array environment; the storage backbone of servers and internet.
We've dumped cable TV in favor of NetFlix : $8 month and kat.ph years ago.
Just added Amazon Prime per wife, for 2 day shipping and another stash of movies/series for $100 yr.
(1 mo. free trial, BUT student email address gets 6 mo. free and $50/yr., kudos to Amazon Mom also )
i believe in an old computer (laptop smaller/quieter than desktop) or Android stick for video server to TV.
This then becomes a workable network node to pull vids, and also store vids etc..
We also use this central point as shared access /storage for household
Tap into NetFlix, Amazon Video etc.
Our TV also does USB video, most only does pictures/slideshow; if not taking vid server suggestion
>>would urge to try to find usb video (more expensive license for manuf.);
so if wanted to can attach HD or thumb drive in future.
Some TV's now have wireless/android/netflix/chromecast built in,
We have an Android hdmi stick, connected to POWERED usb hub, that has mouse, etc. + 2T HD to put downloads on to watch.
Amazon FireStick , ChromeCast similar ideas, not as powerful solutions; as are minimized Androids kind of, not made to store on..
These sticks might work MUCH better if on 6' cable if exposes to wireless signal better than behind wall/tv/electronics.
Unpowered hub on Android stick can make crash;not able to take load/draw of devices on hub.
We hated air mouse, normal old $10 wireless mse works well enuf.
Router antennas are on the flat side, so try 'pointing' flat side at tv/targets.
Some android phones, even if screen broke, battery won't charge etc. can be recycled into using as vid server also!!
They are better computers than many computers we'd use years ago for the same purpose and noise level and space are always media server considerations (some desktops too big and noisy)!

Good knowledge of history, Peter. They still needed some luck though at Midway, and got it. Part of which was a jap scout plane that might well have spotted the trap, having to turn back due to engine trouble.

Back