Amsteel Uses

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I broke a brand new 3/8" amsteel winch line today. We were, dont laugh, attempting to winch a tarp full of rakings into the truck. The winch is on the chipper and points to the rear, earlier in the day we ran the line out the feed slot, 180 degrees to the bag and up to a biner choked on a sling hanging from the knuckle... It easliy lifted the big log that wouldnt fit in the 18" chipper.

End of the day, big pin oak prune added after removals, finally done raking and the stupid tarp, maybe 100lbs but big and bulky gets us. It obviously wasnt the load, the line caught on a sharp edge and cut. The line was ran same as earlier.

The bright side of this is that we only had about 15' feet of line out so.... I learned to due a proper eye splice and I did my best to get it right, time will tell. As a bonus I now have a 15' piece of 3/8" Amsteel, 17,000 mbs.

I am trying to figure out what to do with it. Could I make a friction saver? My other idea is to make a loopie sling with a arborist ring and ISC block (the 4000lb one), I could use it like a standard rigging loopie branch, or if the thought struck me I could hang it basket with the rope through the block and the ring, giving me a rigging point that is retrievable much like a r/r friction saver?

What do you think? The line already has an eye splice on the one end, its not tight but it isnt a girth eye persay.

I am trying to figure out what to do with it. Could I make a friction saver? My other idea is to make a loopie sling with a arborist ring and ISC block (the 4000lb one), I could use it like a standard rigging loopie branch, or if the thought struck me I could hang it basket with the rope through the block and the ring, giving me a rigging point that is retrievable much like a r/r friction saver? ...

All those seem like good uses. Except: No doubt you already know, but just because it needs to be said, don't use it for any life support.
I was always taught: life line => rigging line is a one-way street. ;)
Again, apologies if this is 'preaching-to-the-choir'! :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I made a whoopie and a loopie for practice

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1337940647985.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337940647985.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 8
Good job, Nick. :thumbup:

I know you said it was "for practice", but if you'll allow me to make a couple recommendations: the fixed eye could be a lot bigger (12") and the back-splices could be a lot smaller.

I've made all my loopies & whoopies. And, FWIW, this is just personal style thing: never could tolerate using whoopies --- ripped out all the adjustable eyes and turned them into dead-eye (12") slings ... a lot more useful IMHO.

Loopies are great, though. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Jack... the eye was already there from the winch line and I didn't want to make it shorter to redo it... but yes it could be a lot bigger...

As good the back splices yeah could be shorter but the am steel is so slippery I erred on the side of caution.

As for the loopie today I put a large rigging ring Girthed on the small eye and a block on the adjustable eye... set and retrieved just like a ring n ring friction saver... worked great! More on that to come

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Jack... the eye was already there from the winch line and I didn't want to make it shorter to redo it... but yes it could be a lot bigger...

As good the back splices yeah could be shorter but the am steel is so slippery I erred on the side of caution.

As for the loopie today I put a large rigging ring Girthed on the small eye and a block on the adjustable eye... set and retrieved just like a ring n ring friction saver... worked great! More on that to come

Loopie??? did you mean whoopie? I'm anxious to see that -- sounds cool.

BTW, I always put a few simple stitches on the back-splices for my Tenex loopies. That might be worth considering for slippery am steel.

Back