Amsteel Gimmee

Altissimus

TreeHouser
Given a Hank of Amsteel Blue (retired with minimal use on a State Job) , just under 150 ...' sounds good right ? Well it's 1/4" , thinking of of using it for small diameter pulls and speedline work. Easy to handle size and still rated 1200 lbs. SWL ...

That'll certainly be useful. What's the downside to Amsteel? It's specs are impressive, but no one seems to use it aside from winch line. Why's it apparently inappropriate for general work?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't imagine why it wouldn't hold an Anchor Hitch on the work end , probably to a Carabiner or Shackle

It's more of a static line isn't it? Not recommended for rigging. Great for winch line. I would think it would make good sling material for pow or blocks. Good for speedlining.

Wesspur says this...

"Please note that AmSteel-Blue behaves differently than normal rope and maintains the most strength when used with a spliced termination. Tied knots may severely reduce the breaking strength of AmSteel-Blue."

For a speedline, maybe a spliced eye on the tree end, and girth hitched to the stem with a biner, and the ground side on something like a portawrap and "locked" in place on the cleats? Would that hold it?

Agree with Stephen...melting temp is low, but that's not the whole story. Serious weakening occurs at much lower than actual melting temps, iirc. And yes, it neither knots well for strength, nor holds knots worth a toot.

Still, used in appropriate situations Amsteel is a really killer line. You just have to understand it's properties...both it's strengths and limitations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well , being unskilled at splicing and cautioning to the the knot thing ... Hmmmmm , have to have a working end , should I add one more wrap to an Anchor Hitch ??

Can't imagine why it wouldn't hold an Anchor Hitch on the work end , probably to a Carabiner or Shackle
As Sean said it's slippery and cuts into itself.
I have 190' of 3/16" amsteel that i use as a heafty throw line/pull line for small ish trees. I made a 20-30 oz bag and sometimes that is not enough to get it back down. It fuzzes up like velcro and sticks readily. I have thought about soaking it in melted wax then wringing it out. But its just a thought I don't want to ruin it.

I scored some 5/8ths one time and spliced my dad a tow rope to keep in his truck so if he needed, stows tight and light.
Put some chafe sleeve one the eyes. Gave him a couple of hooks with shakle ends he could slide on if hed rather hooks that eyes. Made a nice little fathers day gift.

I've got a hank of 5/8 I use for pulling big trees. Works really well. Started as 100' it's well short of that now. I'll put a crane sling through the eye and multi block purchase off of it if needed.

Amsteel doesn't like knots very much. On any serious pull, bowline will melt the outer fibers, just from friction I think.

Splice is sooo easy, locking brummel. Nice compact tag line, maybe lightweight rigging for small branches?

Back