All New Fuel / Water Blues ...

Lord knows the newer fuels are driving my saws nuts.

Al is correct, by the way.

Say ,I wonder if C. is using those Mantis style tillers that use a two stroke ? If so they develop the same problems as a weedwacker ,chainsaw
blower whatever .

More times than not while being fuel related the problems can be traced to inactivity just like on a 4 cycle .

I don't know the answer ,I've tried about everything.Ran them dry ,used Stabol ,left the fuel in them . The best thing I've ever found was to just start them every so often .That seems to work the best .

Another thought .Everybody wants to blame the gas for all the problems .Maybe it's the oil .

Way back when they ran things at 16 to 1 on outboards etc, using SAE 30wt for mix you didn't have these problems . Those old boat motors would sit for years and then fire right up ,smoked a little though .

When I've torn into a really old saw that was ran with heavy mix ,usually there is no soft carb part damage .Those diaphragms are limber as a noodle and work as good as they likely did new . The gas evaporates but the oil stays behind and kind of preserves things in a way .

Now I'm not advocating running mosquito fogging 16 to 1 at all ,heaven forbid . I wonder however if at the end of the season on snow blowers weedwackers etc if a carb full might aliviate problems for the next season ?

If a person would say mix up about a quart and dump a few ozs' in the tank then start it up til it smokes ,which it will ,then shut it off until the next usage what would happen .

Al, for whatever it may be worth-I run everything at 32/1 and usually have no problems starting back up after stuff sits for 6-8 months ( I have saws that are used day in and day out but I have some that only get brought out for special occasions or to fill in for a regular that is down.)

I run every thing on 32 to 1 also .I really haven't had much problems even on two saws that had sat unused for 7 years . Lived in town ,no trees to whittle on or firewood to cut at the time .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still think it's the friggin' water , the Methanol attracts far more water than it can possibly absorb ... thus the iso .. and the carb problems , just an opinion ...

If it's sucking up water keep it in a sealed can . We have ethonal at some stations ,some not but I think they all put a tad bit in it in winter ,I haven't had a frozen fuel line in years but it used to common place .Back in the "dry gas " days I bought it by the case ,well not quite ,5 bottles at a time .

I have a 2 gallon jug for the saw gas with a snap on lid ,TSC special .It must work because so far no problems with the two cycle engines .

I understand Mike. FWIW Magnus love sthe premixed alkylate fuels sold for saws in Europe, 100LL Avgas contains a high percentage of alkylates.

I did some reading about this a few years ago. I think it was a discussion on AS at the time that got me to read up un that a bit.

It is not the same. This AV fuel is still agressive like normal gas is.
I got to test it at Williams place.
He uses it in his saws I belive.

There are many diffrent strings of fuel and most has a bunch of crap added to them to enhance the product and get a easy way out on waste products.

In the Alkylate fuel we use the is no benzene and not a bunch of other stuff in it either...

It is not aggressive and can be contained in just about any plastic. Steryfoam that normally dissepears in secons in regular gas floats around for months in Alkylate fuel...

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i7.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/73MMM/Aspentest.flv">

There is no demand for this in US for some reason.

It is really strange to me as this fuel is a whole lot better in many ways.

A thing to remember...
Don't run this in saws that have been run on regular gas/opil mix.
Chances are good all the crap inside will burn up and cause trouble.
New saws are no problem, unless the run on regular gas/oil mix first, then switch to this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
... ALL DONE NOW WITH METHANOL !!!!!.... done, done, done ... going to AV NOW !! ... six failed saws .... DONE

I just don't understand all this ethanol problem. Other than eat up carb diaphragms I really haven't had any problems with it .At least not to point most seem to have .

Now I know the gasoline in Ohio is not any different than gas in California ,Florida ,Vermont or BF Eygpt .There has to be more to this story than just the gasoline .

All gas around here has ethanol, nearest ethanol free is at the coast. I've had good luck sticking with one name brand gas station at a high volume location. I bought gas at the Mobil station for years but 6 months ago they sold out to 7-11. Supposedly they were still selling Mobil gas but my Mustang wouldn't run right on the premium so now I have to go about 5 miles away to get fuel at the BP station. I'll put cheaper gas in the pickup but the Mustang and the saws get top tier premium. I ran race gas in the saws for a couple months but at $8 per gallon it's not a long term solution. And even the race gas has ethanol.

Basically what Brian said... Choose a busy name brand gas station. Choose premium or no less than Medium grade 89 octane. Use synthetic mix oil. That combo will save a shat load of headache. DO NOT use any gas that is 3 months or more old. I do not recommend AV Gas in weed eaters at all. Even my saws were a tad finnicky on it. Tune and tune and tune again. Fouled plugs. Scoured cylinders on 2 weed eaters. Probably lost some carbon off the roof of the cylinder or head of a piston. I experimented and went back to the premium at Texaco. I run my mix at 40:1 as well.

It probabley doesn't make that much diff but I always run high test in all the two cycle stuff .Pshaw the the old tractor and the lawn mowers I could probabley run kerosine because they'll burn anything I dump in them --old saw gas for one .

Ha ,I have a refinery about 10 miles away which I spent many a day working in and if I never see the insides of another refinery in my life that would suit me just fine .

Back