alcohol

Here, after some crazy guy stabbed a few people in Tokyo, they reduced the legal length that can be carried on your person, down to a mere 2-3 inches, I'm not sure the exact length. Rather paradoxical, a country which used to have some of the best swords and swordsmanship in the world. Typical paranoia taking over amongst politicians thinking they could be targets. If you have a legitimate use for a long knife, say work related, the cops don't hassle you. Better to remember to take off your machete before going back into town though, or it will be confiscated and a hefty fine imposed. The people I feel sorry for are the knife makers, no doubt the law has impacted them. Seems like a pretty useless law to me. Street fights are very rare, and if someone wanted a knife that is longer than the law allows to be carried, in mind to go stabbing, just about every kitchen has one.

Some people just like knives, they don't have to at all be associated with violence. A friend made me a beautiful one, a prized possession that I waited five years for after he offered to as a gift. He didn't make it to go stick anyone. To me the regulation assumes too much and takes away a personal freedom.

So keep them at home and admire them there, what's the personal freedom thing about carrying a knife because you like them?

So keep them at home and admire them there, what's the personal freedom thing about carrying a knife because you like them?

Exactly, people should be able to do what they want to do if it doesn't impose on others, no matter how eccentric it may seem to some. It isn't about knives, but about having the ability to choose to do what you want to do. That is my view. Drugs, a knife down to your knee on your belt, or whatever else the inclination may be, freedom of choice is sacred. Better if authorities keep out of everyone's business and don't treat adults like babies that can't direct their own lives. With certain exceptions based on common sense, the importance of keeping active the ideal of self determination far outweighs the possible risks.

Back to alcohol, at least in one country it is apparently much on the rise. http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/americans-are-drinking-more-lot-more-n347126

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GzFWRPiNXOI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jay: Forgive me but... uhhh... you actually believe the U.S. Media brother??? Forgive me... I beg you, but that news piece read like the biggest piece of propaganda I've tried to read in quite a while. "Liver Disease, etc. blah, blah, blah..." Seriously?

Imagine me worrying about my liver, when I'm forced to live in a country that is this stupid.

You'd hate it here in Kansas, Mick! I normally carry two to three knives on me, one is a multi-tool, a used and abused work knife, scraping gaskets, cutting wires, and a pen knife. I always like to make sure I have at least one that's sharp. Occasionally I'll carry my switchblade, which is legal, and had it with me the nights I worked the door at the local bar.
Last year they passed a state wide open carry law, over 21 and no felonies and you can openly carry a firearm about anywhere you please.
Coming this July you will be able to conceal carry a pistol without a permit. Just 5? years ago they passed concealed carry with a permit.
If you don't like knives and guns, don't come to Kansas!

Wow, Andy, an interesting development. Kansas has become very permissive about carrying guns without permits. So, all the police can do is enquire about age and possible felony convictions, if they see a gun, say on a guy waiting at a school bus stop? If you don't have to show identification unless they suspect a crime unrelated to carrying, I guess the police will be pretty stymied about people with a gun, whether they are breaking the law or not by having it. That seems heavily tilted in favor of the citizenry over law enforcement. Your politicians must like their guns. Do you think that many more people will be carrying now, compared to when at least a permit was required? Gun shop bizz must be booming.

There are a bunch of vids where you can see people carrying guns and purposely taunting the police because of the right to carry. Unfortunately, they can't give common sense out when they sell a gun. I don't think that a lot of people understand the responsibility of carrying a gun, the right to carry makes them dorks about it. Seems a fine line though, how rights should merge with what is the best way of thinking about it for the good of all.

Many people don't understand the responsibility of it at all Jay, but what do you do?
What prompted the open carry was legislation tired of trying to decipher all the laws county to county and city to city. For instance, I'm in Butler county, I could always open carry, but 20 miles away, Wichita, and even closer, Derby, both in Sedgwick county, a firearm had to be locked in one compartment of the vehicle and the ammo in another locked compartment. This was a law to prevent drive by shootings, somehow criminals were supposed to start caring about laws? But as legislators said, you could drive across the state and break 15-20 laws and not even know it! The open carry leveled the playing field across the board and I'm good with that.
The open concealed carry, I'm on the fence. On one hand we have open carry so why not, on the other open carry you know they have it, concealed, no clue. I dunno. Open carry hasn't sparked the "Wild West" shootouts many predicted, and maybe crime will drop because come July you'll have no clue who has a gun!
As for the bus stop, that depends on where it's at. We still have the gun free school zones, federal law, which is only negated by the concealed carry permit, and the 8 hour course you have to take. So there may be some serious problems people may run into if they don't know the full letter of the law!
But back to the responsibility of it, I learned a lot in my younger years! Back in the late 80's early 90's we had a terrible gang problem and after a few run ins with them, I started carrying illegally. I learned to start avoiding certain places and chose what I did or said more wisely. I could defend myself, but did I want to deal with the legal issues that would follow? It was so bad when I was pulled over in my county I was always taken out at gun point by the SO's because the first thing dispatch said was I was clear, but known to carry! Not a huge deal here, but jail in Wichita!
I'll end with this, restrictive gun laws have failed miserably, maybe it's time to give the average citizen a fighting chance?

I think experimenting is good, see what works and what doesn't. Your explanation helps to understand. Seems like it could run into conflict when crossing state lines. One problem though, once you have guns freely distributed out into society, and then with new laws you want to get them reduced, probably not much luck in that.

With open concealed carry, as you say, it seems potentially problematical. Things become unclear in a major way for law enforcement. I'm just wondering how the police are going to be responding to that, say with traffic violation stops. Will they be asking first thing if you have a gun on your person? if you say, yes, then what? Remove your gun and put it into the glove compartment, or keep your hands on the steering wheel? Seems like the whole thing really ups the complexity of the equation.

Wonder if cops are quitting as a result of the new laws?

Perhaps a dumb idea, but if people are carrying a gun while driving, what about a law requiring them to have a sticker on the window that says they are. As a cop approaches a vehicle, at least he is more abrest of the situation with gun law abiding drivers. "Are you currently carrying your gun", seems like a reasonable question to ask. I'm not sure if the law says that you would have to answer, though.

I can't say either way on the cops quitting, I know in my case, if I'm stopped with a concealed weapon, I'll turn on the dome light and place me hands on the door, a universal sign you have a weapon. It's worked very well for me in the past!
As for walking around/out of a vehicle, I'm honestly not sure what to do other than hold my hands up?
As for interstate, that's a hot mess! If you get the actual CCW permit you can legally carry in states that reciprocate with KS, I think it's 31 other states, but you have to know and there are some stipulations on that as well. But without the permit, you are limited to just KS, one of the reasons I'd like to get the permit. But $90 for the class and $150 to the state/county makes it prohibitive to me right now.

Jay: I hope the vim in my retort--certainly drink aided--was directed at the American media, and not at you. But you're right... the bit about women was funny.

Years ago, I caught my wife reading some popular women's magazine like Vogue or some rot. After giving her a hard time we both laughed and made a game out of the magazine. Title of the article she was reading: Ten Reasons Why Boozing it Up Makes You Sexier.

But, that's just like the American Media: Build up drink to the vulgar populace, because sales are down one year, and then exert propagandizing pressure years later to tone down the monster a bit.

Hilarious upshot... she easily drinks twice now what she did then--which is probably about 8 drinks a week.

She's waaaay sexier too. :lol:

With open concealed carry, as you say, it seems potentially problematical. Things become unclear in a major way for law enforcement. I'm just wondering how the police are going to be responding to that, say with traffic violation stops. Will they be asking first thing if you have a gun on your person? if you say, yes, then what? Remove your gun and put it into the glove compartment, or keep your hands on the steering wheel? Seems like the whole thing really ups the complexity of the equation.

Wonder if cops are quitting as a result of the new laws?

Perhaps a dumb idea, but if people are carrying a gun while driving, what about a law requiring them to have a sticker on the window that says they are. As a cop approaches a vehicle, at least he is more abrest of the situation with gun law abiding drivers. "Are you currently carrying your gun", seems like a reasonable question to ask. I'm not sure if the law says that you would have to answer, though.
Law enforcement has every legal right to ask if you are carrying with legit reason. As far as I know this is true in most states that allow concealed carry. Personally out in public I see no reason for open carry. Out in public if my gun is out some one is doing something very wrong. Most have experienced how putting on a uniform can change some one. Open carry can & does do the same thing with some.

Because gun laws have changed is no reason for law enforcement to change or be more worried or quit their job. If in the past they have been approaching their work with the right attitude & foresight that they should be striving to have while on the job every day. The cop that gets shot making a stop is very seldom going to be told by the attacker they have a gun or witness their attacker follow any other criteria that legit citizens follow.

We all have slightly different backgrounds. This is seen vividly when the subject of guns comes up. I've been around them all my life. I was pulled over one night about a year ago by a young, local officer for going to fast. I was let go with a warning when before returning to his car he hesitated & asked why I felt the need to carry a gun & large knife I replied with the question "Do you lock your doors at night"? He smiled & said he'd never heard it put quite like that. Because of his job he was very aware every man's heart is not made of peace & sweet tasting chocolate.

Back