Adding Lift/Crush Cylinder

lumberjack

Young man on the go
I already have everything needed for adding non reversing autofeed to the chipper aside from a couple fittings and a hose.

The other thing I wanted to add was a lift/crush cylinder for the good ole Bandit 200+.

The control for the lift cylinder will be an open center, motor spool valve to allow the cylinder to "free spool" unless I need to lift/crush.

My question is, how do I rig up the hydro for the lift crush to operate off the same pump, simultaneously with the feed wheels?

The cylinder I'm figuring on is a 1.5" bore, 1" rod, meaning I'll only need 500 psi at the most (that'd be about 880lbs of down force and 487lbs of lift. The feed wheels need all the pressure they can get.

The cylinder will need around .06 gallons to retract 14", assuming my math is correct. The crush side won't overly matter as the wheel will typically be in contact with what needs crushing, but it would need .1 gallons to extend 14".

If I use a 2gpm flow divider (Divider) it would flow 2 gallons to the lift crush, and the balance to the feed wheels, correct? The downside is I would loose some feed wheel speed, whatever portion 2 gallons is of the total flow. However, the feed wheel could retract in 1.8 seconds, which seems reasonable to me, and a presure relief valve for that side would vent excess pressure to the tank.

Is my thinking/math correct? Is there a better way to get simultaneous feed wheels and lift/crush without adding a pump (or pump section)? (Two section pump option)

Thanks

On the machines I've seen with an OEM lift valve, they don't lift all that fast. It's not that critical since you might only use the lift feature once a day or less.

If you're using it more than that in order to chip big wood, you need a bigger chipper. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Typically bigger stuff is fed with the mini, but it'd sure be nice to be able to get the hand loaded pieces (chipped a couple Friday on a non mini job) between the rollers easier than it presently is. You're right though, lifting wouldn't be needed as much as I was thinking.

The smallest priority flow divider that Surplus Center has is 1.5gpm, giving a 2.4 second lift time, which is fast enough for the amount it would be used.

This is what I was thinking about for a control valve.

Wouldn't the load checks bugger up the ability for the cylinder to follow (float) the feed wheel rolling over logs/brush when the stick is in the center position? The detent down and up would be handy I would think.

Live hydrualics? Negative, it's the old school, ran off the cutter wheel's pulley setup. That's why it'd be possible to add another pump or change it out to a two section pump, but that wouldn't be ideal.

So you cannot use it to raise the feed wheels to clear it out if something gets jammed in there.
But, you will be able to crush those pesky crotches that just fight the chipper. It also works well for leafy stuff that the chipper feed wheels normally just slid over.
The crotch cruncher is a good invention.

Hahaha.

Actually, I could add a stand alone electric pump to operate the lift/crush, that would also serve to back out a jammed bit if the engine stalled (happened once when we first got it by a groundy) but with autofeed that shouldn't be a big worry. The electrical part would make the plumbing easier, and the cycle time faster.

Carl, I have a brand new lift cylinder valve from a warranty deal a couple of years ago....gettin dusty,...you interested. It was 140 bucks I think. I will let it go for cheaper then that though.

What's it's specs? Are the working ports connected in neutural is the main point I ponder.

It would cost about $500 more, but I'm pondering setting up the feed and crush system so it can be controlled electrically, by remote.

With the system I would be able to make the feed rollers go in and out, and add down pressure from the remote. Controls at the infeed would remain basically the same. It would also allow reversing autofeed.

Going the normal route, the crush is $250 for the valve, cylinder, and flow divider. Going the electric route is $460 for the crush and another $210 to add the feed stystem.

At this point I'll probably go the cheaper route and decide if I the extra $460 would be worth it. The only thing that wouldn't be reused is the $60 valve for the crush system.

There also is the option of changing the hydraulics to a double pump .That would give you basically two seperate indepedant systems to work with .

$67 for 13 fittings and 8" of 1/2" hose and the autofeed is ready to be screwed together this afternoon. Still got to get a relay to convert the second normally closed valve into a normally open.

Old:

DSC04827.jpg

New;
DSC04828.jpg

DSC04832.jpg

Still gotta get it wired up.

but he already had a reverse:?

oh i get it, i thought he was trying to add the crush but its for the auto feed:dur:

Ha that bit is for the autofeed. It won't reverse, but it will block the lines going to the "in" side of the feed wheel motors and dump the fluid back to tank.

After I have may's bills paid I'll look at adding the lift/crush setup.

@lumberjack,
Curious if you ended up adding the lift/crush cylinder and how it worked out. I am looking into doing it on a similar chipper. I know this is an old thread but have not found many answers elsewhere. I am thinking of ordering the stuff you mentioned in your first few posts and giving it a try. My main question is, did the load checks on that open center valve screw up the ability of the feed wheels to float? Thanks.

I didn't, but you would need an motor spool valve which wouldn't have load checks.

Blast from the past!

Back