A new winch line to consider... Unitrex

On our 9k lb winch if the cable gets burried I'll run the winch backwards (with the winch and hook anchored at the appropriate distance) and it's always pulled it back out.

Granted that's kinda hard to do if you're up to your ass in mud.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is available now, but it has to be purchased....through me! they are working on getting it to bishop, wesspur, etc...but that'll be a while.

Bloody hands...that's reason enough to switch from steel.

I'll get prices soon, then we can talk more about it.

love
nick

Nick,

I convinced my Supervisor to buy a spool.

Does it come in spools?

We need a bid sheet for it first so we can create a Purchase request then a Purchase Order.

:)

I will most likely be in the market for a winch line in the near future as well. I'll get some of this from Nick if only to test it out for the rest of you. Now if Nick can make it a little faster than the beeline prussic loops I asked for we'll be rockin. :evil:

I'm always a Johnny come lately to these threads. A new stronger, lighter and nifty line? Wow! Probably over priced because it's new. Look at Amsteel when it first came out.

Though the one good thing about this new line is, it has a good durable cover. So it appears anyway. That was the problem with the Amsteel and similiar HMWPE do-higgie lines. They had a weak cover and lousy chaff resistance. Maybe finaly.....

My only concern is using the line while skidding. how do they handle being rasped over rocks etc?

breifly onto rats nests on the drums. our skidder has double drums if its real bad we run one round a snatch block and pull. either that or anchor it and drive.

Jamie

Crazy, in just the past 2 hours I have been talking with folks at yale about it.

Here's the update...

Not exactly sure about the pricing. The splice is do-able, but maybe not for the average tree climbing splicer. They are developing a custom termination attachment to make it the "everyman's" winch line.

I'm still working on this and I'll report back as soon as I know something more.

love
nick

I'm working on a short vid....stay tuned!

I do have some samples. This is some crazy stuff!

I think neoprene is the wrong word. It's a parallel dyneema core coated in latex, then wrapped in polyester.

love
nick

Back