A hazard?

Pelorus

TreeHouser
Posted about this situation in the Before and After Tree Care thread, but I realize it doesn't belong there.
http://www.moosefm.com/cfbg/news/12183-cut-down-trees-causes-protest-in-huntsville-

In a phone conversation with the town CAO today, he mentioned that the trees were removed because they were untidy, growing over the fence, etc. He is a former landscape architect, and says that because the rootball on the black willows were left, they will prevent erosion, and re sprout.
This town is located in picturesque "cottage country". The mayor, who's hobbies now apparently include performing tree risk assessments authorized the work be done through the Parks and Recreation Dept manager. Who in turn is responsible for managing the town's Municipal Tree Bylaw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's correct Nick.
Here is a stock photo of the other side of the same bridge provided by Kim O'Grady, a local real estate representative:
image.jpg
Bear in mind that this is smack downtown in a town heavily dependant on cottagers and tourist income, so the willow removals make the area on the other side of the bridge look awful miserable.

Clarification: Yellow, not Green co. got awarded that contract.

Gotcha. I have never lived anywhere that they operate so I didn't know that they had claimed a particular color.

More than 20 trees, minimum 6" dbh spread along 200' of shoreline, along with basically all saplings.

SAM_0692.jpg

200' denuded, and trained to sprout, and need re-whacking soon. Planned obsolescence, recurring contract. Good for business but how it fits in with A300 standards is hard to see.

Yellow not Green; your boys are off the hook mr. bonner! But o my what an advert for contractor and town alike. Thanks for the followup Dave; I'll have to show this to my highandmighty yellowish friends in Nozzlehead Nation.

What is the antidote? Show them pics over time of a properly pruned willow tree maybe? Munifolk need all the handholding you can stand to give.