50" Valby Grapple

Can the rotate be neutralized? So it's free turning? Maybe a hose between the ports?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You could do that and it would be reduced effort to turn. The question is why?

Crossed my mind to use it on knuckle boom. I have one spare circuit and I'd rather a grapple that opened and closed rather than just spun in circles...

My friend's kboom grapple is power rotate... Not half the tool without PR, but a GREATLY DIMINISHED.

Not worth the effort me thinks. Plumbing 2 sets of lines when I have to take grapples off every time it's stowed will be a pain

Here's a start.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OZQkG_tlsfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DdP4EAaaLv8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iv got powered rotator on my knuckle boom, wouldn't be without it really. A free rotating grapple would be a distant second best, better than slinging everything anyway.

Actually it should be a huge time saver processing limbs on regular tree work as well. I spend a lot of time waiting for the groundy to untie a limb, get the saw, cut up the limb, and get out of the way.

Great question. I haven't specifically asked, but my theory is low chain speed and the guard around the bar/sprocket.

Not worth the effort me thinks. Plumbing 2 sets of lines when I have to take grapples off every time it's stowed will be a pain
4 flat faced couplers. Hardly any time at all. Dan always leaves his grapple at the job, them picks it back up. If he had a front bumper mount, he could put them on there, fold up and go. For whatever reason, he doesn't.

A time he hauled cedar logs for me, and left grapple on, hanging out the back. For stopped and jump scales read 700 overweight. Overall. 3000 on the rear axle. Got off lucky, no ticket. Folded up, no grapple, he would have been surfing the line.

I'd have to try to plumb it from the valve body through the boom, it's more than a couple fittings. Then having 3 extensions puts another twist to it all. I'd rather buy a different truck than cobble this one together. If I could get a non powered rotate I'd be happy just to run it with no extensions.
My boom won't swing strait out over the front of the cab :dur: that would rock.

Dan has a power extension, and two manual slide-out extensions and has hoses after hard plumbing for the hydraulic section. No plumbing for the manual slide-outs. I'll try to get you pics tomorrow. Hauling those cottonwood for pulp and maybe plywood peelers. He never used the grapple farther than the hydraulic. When he needs to, he hangs a chain from a welded on hook on the grapple out to the log and lifts to pull in the log, then lowers, then resets the chain. Once close enough, he grapples it. He also plumbed a 12k hydraulic winch (IIRC) onto the boom. He has a hydraulic auger that hangs on the end of the boom for fence post holes, in place of the grapple. I think the power rotate will be the bee's knees when it comes to having to shove logs around while loading, especially shoving with one end.

Cool, I'd like to see that.
Loggers always have a chain hook and choker bell welded to the grapples!

Actually it should be a huge time saver processing limbs on regular tree work as well. I spend a lot of time waiting for the groundy to untie a limb, get the saw, cut up the limb, and get out of the way.

Humph! More time than you spend waiting on that old man dragging around up in the tree?

That remains to be seen!

I sold a clearing job last weekend where the saw should save 2 days of needing a groundy to cut the trees up. Probably just need a groundy for one day to cut the stumps off the trees that are too big for the grapple to cut.

It'll also be nice on trees that can be flopped or that you can take apart in big pieces.

Either way, I hope it's wonderful as I wired the $24.8k out for it yesterday!

3d798cb71d3763949816cf716783ab64.jpg

2 hydraulic extensions.

df8546d87a34d904f4f576f8eb09b7ae.jpg
b833cff7817612aff23d045d5ff50c68.jpg

Loading pulp logs. I chipped 6-7" and smaller, he hauled almost the rest of the three trees, two loads, with the grapple on, book extended, so from the log yard, only 1 mile away, he could head home. Tiny bit of firewood.
90fdb596c9022854515da4958919e863.jpg

Back