38 Special Grinder

I grind my stumps just so I know it is done right and do not have to deal with "others". Stumps, for me, have never really been a money maker but more of a service to my custies and part of the full service biz that I have built.
The 38special is on my wish list that thing just looks sweet.

I can identify w justin's thoughts. I would think about the situation differently w the ability to delegate it.

Brendon--how long do you foresee being a one man band?

Does it make sense to drop 12K extra on a newer bucket truck, to reduce down time and repair costs. Seems like you might be a long way from a heavy truck shop???? A tow bill could be HUGE, possibly.

I know you have the log trailer. does it lift all you need?
Would a material handler on a bucket truck work well for you?
Could that give you any diversification of services with a light duty crane on board??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am going to hold on the stumper. Put another 12k towards the bucket I'll be getting off the bat.

Log trailer does well, will lift more than the mini can bring to it. A material handler would be nice, but it's not what I'm getting.

The bucket is a key factor right now. Worked for Harlan today, just as a good ground dude. Knocked out seven big assed oaks. Unbelievable. After running an articulating loader for half the day, that would be a better investment than putting money towards the stumper.

For now, gotta reel in that bucket truck. First things first.

I really like the looks of the 38 special grinder. I also have a Vermeer S600 mini skid with a 30 hp gas in my sights too. Put the 2 together would weigh 2,800 lbs.
So if I replaced my 1,050 lb Vermeer 252 grinder with this setup I would have to carry an extra 1,750 lbs on my trailer. I'd be stretching my weight limit when loaded with chips, but having said that I have never had my trailer checked by the highway weigh scales in the 9 yrs I've been running it.

The 2,800 lb mini & grinder would nicely balanced the back of the trailer with the 2,800 lb chipper sitting alongside it.:)

Tree removal with stump removal is a good paying gig , even for the one man show outfits;)

I have debated cutting a sc 252 in half and welding it to a mini plate. Therefore having a smaller version of the 38special with less weight on the trailer.

I have debated cutting a sc 252 in half and welding it to a mini plate. Therefore having a smaller version of the 38special with less weight on the trailer.
Funny thing you said that Bud.............I thought the same thing.
The 252 is a proven well built unit plus it has an extra 5" of swing over the 38 S

The 252 has more swing? I find that hard to believe... But even if it has, you can swing further using the mini if needs be, and probably get another 24" of 'swing' with the '38.

Plus, it will grind a whole lot higher and a he'll of a lot deeper than a 252.

Just thinking about your setup, Willard. Brendon is right a mini will have you laughing all the way to the bank.
Could you store the grinder where the power wheelbarrow rides?

The 252 has more swing? I find that hard to believe... But even if it has, you can swing further using the mini if needs be, and probably get another 24" of 'swing' with the '38.

Plus, it will grind a whole lot higher and a he'll of a lot deeper than a 252.
Ed, the 252 has 42" swing the 38 has 37".
Now I would never have to grind a high stump...waste of time, I just get the 395-36" out and cut it low.
The only time I had to grind a stump lower then 13" from ground level is when the ground was raised from prior landscaping which is rare.

Just thinking about your setup, Willard. Brendon is right a mini will have you laughing all the way to the bank.
Could you store the grinder where the power wheelbarrow rides?
Yes Scott the mini will sit right where the 252 sat, alongside the chipper. Good idea you have there about putting the grinder whether it's the complete 252 or 38Special / 252 cut in half sitting on the tongue.

What will you do with the muck truck willard? :P

A mini would make you smile.
It could share the truck bed with the saws and other gear:lol:
The handy little guy will always be part of my operation

The company i work for does alot of stumps ,Some days $800-$1200 worth with a big grinder.

Id like to be getting that!

Ed, the 252 has 42" swing the 38 has 37".
Now I would never have to grind a high stump...waste of time, I just get the 395-36" out and cut it low.
The only time I had to grind a stump lower then 13" from ground level is when the ground was raised from prior landscaping which is rare.
Hmmm. Well I designed the 38 with 48" of swing, so not sure where the 37" of swing is coming from.

Is one measuring the swing in a straight line from max to max, while the other is measuring along its arc?

Is one measuring the swing in a straight line from max to max, while the other is measuring along its arc?
According to Branch Manager's site the 38 special has 37" arc.
I just checked my 252's owner manual and the arc swing is 40" [not 42" I thought], straight line is 39".
Not a big difference but every inch helps when chasing roots etc.
I like the 38 S setup. I'd like to see the joysticks mounted at the mounting plate with auxialry joysticks to move the skidsteer, just like running a 252.

I knew the 37" and 48" didn't gee-haw, but thought the arc vs swing might explain the discrepancy. I figured the 37" might be straight line at the spindle, while the 48" was arc at end of cutter teeth.

The arc is measured at the tip of the cutting teeth - no point in measuring elsewhere.

I designed it to have the maximum cutting ability for it's size.

The company i work for does alot of stumps ,Some days $800-$1200 worth with a big grinder.

Id like to be getting that!

8-12 in revenue, I suspect. How much profit, I wonder.

Surely, money in stumps, there is.

Where in treework, lies the most profit. I wonder.

It may depend, but I think plant health care yields the highest profit margin.
In terms of overhead. I'd say plant health care would be the winner easily. If you already had a pickup then you could have a very profitable phc rig for under 7500. Which if the work was sold you could recoup in a few days.

Our spray guys do as much revenue in one day alone as the three man tree crews. With way less equipment too. Close to 3k/day.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Back