201tc

Did you just drill a second hole (7mm) or expand the factory one by 7?

Don't worry Jed the timber paint outta wear off quickly

Can you do a how to about everything except the painting? :D

Man, I'll get some hours on it, and then maybe thow up something better, but it's just so very easy.

Rich: Yeah... second hole, not just expanding first.

Arbworks: Yeah... ya gotta crack the muffler off so that you can blow it out super well when you're done. The muffler is literally held on by two screws plainly visible from the bottom of the saw. There are two more screws that you undo that hold the bottom of the plastic case over the muffler. Take the clutch cover off. Take the bar and chain off. There's another little plastic plate sort of dividing the muff from the clutch. Take one screw out and the thing literally just snaps in and out like this beautiful little Lego piece. You literally take out five screws and the bar nut and the muffler just slides out beautifully, unlike a 540.

Oh yeah Rich... I used a dremmel with a little carbide bit to just hog directly into the side. Then cut a bit of the plastic away because it'll melt and just look really ugly. I say seven, but I'll try to measure the hole a bit better, but I'm telling ya... it is NOT real critical. They have just absolutely nailed the ignition timing on this thing, and all you're doing is giving it more breathing room. The thing sounds a lot like a 200t now and just jumps in your hand when you hit the throttle.

If you have an air compressor... (I don't and had to use our shop's) this job might take you thirty minutes total. Well worth doing and you could never mess anytning up unless you went way, way too big with the hole.

Take some pictures of the muffler with the hole...what on earth were you drinking to go and paint your saw blue?!

Just I.P.A. I think I only had two of em, but one was 8.5%. I think the other one was 7%. I'm pretty sure I'm a lightweight.

I'll try for a close-up on the hole. You can kinda see it in the one image.

The hole is about like the diameter of your average earplug. Man that thing has, like INSTANT throttle response. They just nailed the ignition timing on that pig. I'm really pleased with it. Anybody know the name of a good paint remover?

Did you run that saw in before you opened it up? I have a new one waiting for my return to Tasmania...

I didn't Fi, because I didn't want any issues (I'm laboring under great ignorance here.) with parameters getting changed-up on the computer. The manual says that (same as Autotune on Husq) you are supposed to make five cuts of similar duration in succession in order to let the computer get to know the environment. Maybe this is silly. The whole point of the chipped carb is so that the thing can make adjustments for altitude change or fuel-mix change or whatever so ah... maybe it don't matter. Magnus.... Where ya at bud?

Willie: Big saws Orange. Top-handles White. Oh... check out Victor's zipped Echo! The thing sound better that a 200. I'm not kiddn ya.
I didn't Fi, because I didn't want any issues (I'm laboring under great ignorance here.) with parameters getting changed-up on the computer. The manual says that (same as Autotune on Husq) you are supposed to make five cuts of similar duration in succession in order to let the computer get to know the environment. Maybe this is silly. The whole point of the chipped carb is so that the thing can make adjustments for altitude change or fuel-mix change or whatever so ah... maybe it don't matter. Magnus.... Where ya at bud?

Willie: Big saws Orange. Top-handles White. Oh... check out Victor's zipped Echo! The thing sounds better that a 200. I'm not kiddn ya. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWxOvdkYF_s

O.k. Fi... here ya go. Let's call it 6.51239849 millimeters.

unnamed-863.jpg

Here's a little Shore Pine I cut down today. Not that anyone cares. :cry::cry:

unnamed-864.jpg

Thanks Jed, now just deal with that blue paint you knuckle head

Stephen, that would have been fun, but now this stupid phone isn't even sending texts, just putting them in a queue, IMA bout ready to drop kick it

So my ms200 was idling like a dream but bogging down in the cut and fuel was coming through the muffler when it was on the shelf. Pulled the spark arrestor, cleaned the carb, played with the tuning screws and ended up taking it to the dealer. Dealer says the piston was scored a bit but didn't seem entirely sure on the problem or solution. I asked if they'd waive the repair fee if I bought a new saw. He took $70 off of a $120 charge which means I only had to pay $50 to have someone confirm my saw was broken.
The beady eyed service manager watched from his office to see how I took the news. Thanks bud.

Get a brand new MS201tc to the till and the salesmen starts telling me how "triangle" is start, there are no adjustment screws on the carb and how I'll need to run "like 20 tanks of fuel" before it learns its full potential. He also touched on some "factory reset" which kinda blew me away. I was all WTF as I drove home, cut some firewood for about 10 minutes with it and then figured I better come on here and do some reading. It cut like a brand new saw should and I am happy with it.

Any advice to get the most life and power out of this saw?

Flow-enhancements !!! Muffler mod and timing adv ...

For power, but probably not for life. More power fatigues metal faster. I'd say keep the filter clean and run 40:1 of a high quality oil for a long life, and don't abuse it, don't cut big wood, that's what big saws are for.

I might be able to point you towards a 200t rebuilder.

Buncha noise...keep good fuel/proper oil mix, then run it like you stole it. At whatever few months the warranty expires (3 maybe?) pull the screen, drill out the exhaust port a smidge (say 20%), and I doubt you'll have any problems.

If that saw doesn't make you enough money to pay for it in less than a month, even if you kill it with mods, big wood, or crappy fuel and oil...I guess it's a bad buy :D. And I seriously doubt that will be the case.

Back