200th Anniversary!

Thought you'd say that!
I've always rooted for the evil empires.
Am I the only one who thinks the felling scene on Avatar should be on here?

Surely its obvious to anyone that this day and age, having all that expense(aircraft etc) tied up on one ship is nothing short of a sitting duck? Carriers are nothing more than a status symbol these days if you were to face any sort of formidable enemy.

It's not obvious to me at all, Steve, I need more info to make an informed decision. What sort of expertise do you have in military affairs that makes you say "Surely its obvious to anyone…"??

Excellent links, Thor. The war games link where Red team wiped out Blue with minimal technology was fascinating. Van Riper is quite a war fighter, I would say.

It's not obvious to me at all, Steve, I need more info to make an informed decision. What sort of expertise do you have in military affairs that makes you say "Surely its obvious to anyone…"??

Played command and conquer a few times

Like I've said, we HAVE to have a way to get our aircraft onscene, ASAP. Carriers aren't going anywhere, except to the action.

Lets get back to focusing on how horrible America is. Leave Britain alone. :D

They burned the White House. No biggie. It was due for remodeling anyhow. We owe Britain for the demo end of the job.

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong. In a war-ship there is 7 times the weight under the water than there is above. That's something I heard a long time ago.

Seems awfully redundant. A carrier would be an iceberg.

I dunno, Gerry.
Look at some of them ginormous cruise ships with 12+ decks that tower mebbe 100' above the water, yet they might only have a 30' draft.

"The gross tonnage of Oasis of the Seas is 225,282.[1] Her displacement—the actual mass of the vessel—is estimated at approximately 100,000 metric tons (110,000 short tons), slightly less than that of an American Nimitz-class aircraft carrier."
(Wikipedia)
31' draft; height of ship above water 236'

Yeah, the apparent math on what's above and below the water-line doesn't add up to a stable vessel, but where the weight is makes it so. Still I wonder what the definitive figures are?

Back