1 year ago

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like this picture, shows the good times on the boat. One of the best jobs I ever had was working the deck on the Ranger.

Attachments

• 2008888193.jpg
    2008888193.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 97
It's a wonder that Japanese fish master didn't " accidentally" fall off the boat at some time. Must have been a tough mofo.

It's a wonder that Japanese fish master didn't " accidentally" fall off the boat at some time. Must have been a tough mofo.

That prick. Yeah, all the Japs were tough as nails and damn good at their jobs as far as deckwork goes. To say that they hated us, and us them is an understatement. :evil:

What's funny is the guy who says that Konno threw him violently. I believe the part about the prick hitting him, but unless Putnam spoke Japanese there is no way he know's wtf was said. For a fact, Konno would have not lowered himself to speak English towards in his perception, a subhuman.
I'll be curious to see how far this "investigation" will really go. My guess is this is the end of it.

That must be awful to have to work in an environment like that, especially being stuck in such close quarters.

If you mean working under the bastard, yelling obscenities at one another in different languages, and despising his being, then yes I knew him very well.

Interesting!

So I get it was a major pita working under him.

But I was wondering, what it's like working out there in the middle of nowhere?? It must be unbeliebably beautiful, at least before you get used to it, if you do??

Working on the deck of a large dragger is possibly some of the funnest rigging a guy can do. The weather was very extreme, heavy seas were common, and the brotherhood that was forged among those of us on deck is unbreakable, for that I do thank the Japs and their style of management. Most folks quite simply could not cut it up there, and that is one of the reasons why this investigation may falter. Most of the complaints were from folks that broke, those of us that didn't are proud of that fact. I mean hell they only hit you if you did something wrong. As soon as a guy got his s#@% together it was just nothing but brutal work in absolutely horrible conditions. I wouldn't trade my experiences on that boat for anything, and I'm sad she's gone.
For many of us a portion of our lives that we are proud to have endured has disappeared to a degree.:evil:

Was sleep deprivation a big part of it? How was the food? What kind of fish were you catching? Much bycatch? How long would you be out there for, then how long on land?

How long was your fishin career??

That article is an interesting read, albeit a most unfortunate incident. Obviously, fishing is an important industry in Japan, and the competition is quite fierce, especially for the giant tuna, where one fish can bring in the neighborhood of a hundred grand. In the north, particularly in Aomori, guys often go out for those single handed, and those fishermen are indeed tough bastards.

Japan has been a country with an anything goes arrangement, as far as authority at the job place. Old school in just about every sense of the phrase. Off work, that attitude can change from black to white, it's a very peculiar thing, that is hard to get a handle on, as a westerner. The older generation can endure just about anything, for the sake of shigoto, or work. When I entered a traditional woodworking company, my teacher was a mean sob, every single day for four years, but he only struck me once, fortunately, when he misinterpreted a remark I made. After about the third year working along side him, I was seriously planning ways to murder him. He commuted by bicycle to the shop, and I was going to jump on him along his route and cut his throat. Thanks to him, I had learned to sharpen a knife very well by then. I was able to hold on and not do it, and I'm not proud of thinking that, but that's how far my psyche was pushed by the experience. I'd heard stories, that his own teacher was a notorious cruel man when training. Traditional work....

Twenty some years later, he came to an exhibition of my woodwork, and as I walked him to his car, by then an old man, he turned to me and said, "You do good work". It was the first and only time he had ever complimented me, and I had nearly killed myself trying to work to his demands. It meant more to me than I can ever express....I wept.

Fishing is a big part of everyone's life on the coast. Even if you never did go out on a boat and fish many of your friends did. for most woods workers fishing was a part of their lives during the off season when the woods was slow.

I fancied the sea and smell of the salt breeze and bought a boat and fished myself. Leased boats, deck hand and built boats and outfitted them. Had a few close friends die and more that I only knew through acquaintance . The romance of fishing is equal to that of woods work. Both equally dangerous and rewarding at the same time. If a man has an ounce of work ethic and tried either occupation I know they would feel the same way about it.

Reminds me of a saying we had on the coast. Liquid sunshine, is what we called the rain. If you can't laugh in the face of misery you'd never survive the bush, as for the other disciplines I can't really comment. Honestly I find residential treework to be pretty cushy.

I only dabbled in a bit of fishing.
I worked on the YAK (Yard Arm knot), after a few weeks I jumped
ship to the Westward Wind. I was a master baiter for opelio. Then COD.

Good Times, Good Food. Plenty of work. 15 up, 5 down.
Then next contract we went 20 up and 4 down. 4am to midnight, everyday.

I miss it, I think about looking for something here around the bay.

So why are they such assholes?

It's because they are dead serious about heir job. If a guy is going to be a fisherman, his entire life is dedicated to perfection in that endeavor, anything less is unacceptable. Couple that with an amount of dislike for our cultures often times carefree attitude and it can be rough. :evil:

So why are they such assholes?

Can't really speak for the fishmaster on the Ranger, sometimes there is a bit of sadism mixed in. A lot of Japanese haven't quite got the stress thing under control. I suppose also, it is in some ways a throwback to the samurai era, where if one can endure the most difficult of situations, it will make you a more highly skilled and tough person.

They also say that if you are forced to face the harshness when learning, once you get beyond the apprenticeship days, the fact that you have had to put so much of yourself into the situation, it becomes that you are not very likely to want to give up the occupation at any point, no matter what arises. There is truth in that, and probably many Treehousers can attest to that in their jobs, as well.

My teacher used to say to me, "I know what's going through your mind, how you hate me, but you should be hating my teacher as well, because I'm just doing for you what he did for me". Not the best of individual thinkers here, more a follow each other society. I wouldn't be telling this, if I didn't respect the people here at the forum to try and understand. I heard from a peer, that when my teacher was an apprentice, he had a nervous breakdown, had to be hospitalized for a short period. So I guess he felt compelled to dish it out as well, in his own mind was doing me a favor. I know it sounds weird and extreme, but all I can say, is that there are both deep good things in this approach, and also some less than positive aspects to it as well. In my case, did it make me a skilled and tough woodworker...I'd like to think yes. Did it injure me...for sure as well. That's the aspect of traditional work, for good and for bad, just passing it along and not questioning it....almost like religion.

Sometimes, even after the severest of days, Mr.Maita would say to me, how about we go out for a drink after work. I would usually decline, I couldn't compartmentalize the difference between when working and when not, as far as the personal relationship. If I had better learned to do that, it could have saved me a lot of grief. The Japanese are highly skilled at that. Another problem was, when my teacher got drunk, it made him crazy and even more scary....I didn't know what was going to come up. Strange society, for sure.

On the FCA boats the structure was Fishmaster/US Captain, Jap Bosun/US Bosun, 12 Jap Deckhands/12 US Deckhands. For every US guy there was a counterpart Japanese "advisor" The only guys who didn't Jap mirrors were he folks who worked on the factory deck exclusively.
They were damn rough in their teaching, but it made me an incredible deckhand and rigger. I had my hand broken by my Japanese counterpart (retribution was had) I worked with pnuemonia one winter. They helped an individual see what hard really was.
And it's funny like Jay says these absolute pricks would take you out to dinner in port. Completely able to separate work from the small amount of free time they allowed themselves. One of my arch enemies on the boat was the Jap Bosun Suga, when I got off the first time at the end of season, he handed me a 1000.00 in cash asked me in English (I had no idea the sombitch spoke it) to come back next season. They were a trip, All things aside I respect their skill and dedication to work.

I understand very little of the oriental culture . From what I gather though there is a hierarchy in the so called chain of command regarding who the boss is .

This rather amused me while building two Honda plants about twenty years ago . The machine companies all were from Japan and sent representatives to this country to oversee the installation .

They thought they could boss us around like peons . Their minds got changed in a hurry over that chit .:lol: Fact is I kinda had to get up close and personal with a few of them .;) Once we got over the culture shock though things went pretty smoothly .

Back