066 muffler

• Thread starter will
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 3K
W

will

I have an older 066 magnum with a broken muffler. The newer second hand mufflers i can find seem to have no outlet on the front like the old ones did. anyone know if you can use the new muffler on an old saw? :?

Yes, but you'd be wise to do a little cutting on it first and open up the outlet a little. Or add a second outlet.

Sounds like you have the original style Magnum muffler. The newer mufflers are choked down for cleaner emissions, less power and a hotter running saw.

You can use the newer muffler, or you could get the new dual port cover and let it breate better!

Yeah, do the dual port no matter what you do. I consider it standard equipment on a 44, 46, 66.

And actually RJ, as a bit of trivia, the 066 lost the dual port due to OSHA, not EPA. The saw was too loud, and was hurting the poor timber faller's ears. :cry:

(Maybe BS, but that's from Andy over at AS. Maybe the most knowledgable Stihl guy I know.)

It doesn't take too much to work over a Stihl pressure can muffler .For me it's maybe a half hour ,more or less .

I won't trouble any body with the details because heaven knows there must be a zillion threads on about every web site that deals with chainsaws .I will just say this,a properly reworked muffler will give you the most gains for the least amount of money .If it's too loud get better ear plugs .;)

I like waking up lazy unemployed guys who are lazing around sleeping after 8AM.
My ms66 does an excellent job of it, I have to say.

I know this because I have been yelled at by these types. It really makes for a great morning :)

A good test is when you can make dogs howl about a quarter mile away .:D

On that note I have to laugh.A few years ago at a GTG at Woodsjunkies they were running the piped saws .He has a big male Doberman,my buddy the dog .Every time they fired one of those things up that big old pooch bared his teeth and growled .Evidently it hurt the big guys ears .

1122 140 0800

That's just the front cover. Don't let the dealer try to sell you the whole muffler. The back shells are the same; the dual port cover makes the difference. The cover is $30-$40. The whole muffler is $70+

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the whole muffler goes for about 200 us over here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah somone is taking the piss. i bought one just now from ebay u.s.a heaps cheaper.

1122 140 0800

That's just the front cover. Don't let the dealer try to sell you the whole muffler. The back shells are the same; the dual port cover makes the difference. The cover is $30-$40. The whole muffler is $70+

Geez Jeff, Have a word with the folks you paid that much cash to. I get the front cover for 18.00. Damn gotta give some kind of Service discount.

I've never bought one. My dealer has always just put dual ports covers on for me that I buy from them. But I went in and bought one by proxy for a dude on AS that coudln't get one from his dealer. I think it was like $32. The 44/46 was $28

1122 140 0800

Cool. Thanks Jeff. And of course I leave it screenless, right?

Ordered a DP cover for my 064 yesterday! I made the original cover a dual port, but I want a factory one as well.

i leave the screen in mine. i pay 30 bucks from my local dealer and have found everything to be cheaper from other dealers

Cool. Thanks Jeff. And of course I leave it screenless, right?

You cold prolly go without the screen if ya want... :)

Out here we pretty much have to run the screens. If you are on FS land... they are mandantory. That was why I liked the way my muffler was modified on my MS361... it still retained a screen for cuttin' on land that required it.

Gary

I actually leave my 660 DP cover as-is. Screen in, hole same size. I do open the 44/46 cover and leave the screen, but my 660 cover is as I boughtit. The whole through it is actually prett big from Stihl.

Back