046...Chain Brake

No_Bivy

Treehouser
My 046, with a 36" bar skeered the shat outta me today. Chain brake ain't workin. I can hear it engage ...but nothing. How do I repair this.....sorry,... I know I'm a saw-tard......:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
................:/:................:/:.................8)

It may be clogged up with sawdust and goop. Try blasting it out with your air hose. you can even take the access cover off and clean it out good.

Check and see if the brake band (metal strap that goes around the outside of the drum) isn't broken

I pulled the two access covers...it appears the "linkage" has broken. Do I have to pull the clutch to replace it. I can't figure out how to get the old one outta there....

I don't have access to a parts illustration so I'm not 100% sure of exactly what the 046 brake linkage looks like. If you can't get an answer before this weekend, I can borrow my buddy's MS460 to take apart and get you some answers.

I can't take pictures though. My camera is getting repaired and won't be ready for 2 weeks. :(

I 'm guessing I gotta pull the clutch...after stories, I'll give it another go.

Hahahaha-

Remind me never to loan any of my tools to Brian so he can take them apart to see how things work. :lol:

:lol:......fishin' pole maybe.

A buddy said" I'll get my hammer out later to start smashin' shat we'll get er' loose....."

I found this.............................:/:
30339.png

#'s 13 and 18.....thats it, thanks. Im gonna hunt the screw for 13..:/:

where did you ge the blow away part map from? I tried to find it on the net but couldn't I'm looking for any and all of the saw models.

Thanks, BB. I have it off. New springy thingy it looks like.:what:

Hey, that's funny!... We just replaced that on our 046 mag ...about a month ago. I'm bad with terminology. Woops. Except on ours, the ring that actually grabs the drum got f'ed, so it was the ring that need replacing.

Everyone talks about the brands being equal but when I went from husky to Stihl you used to still have to take your frigging clutch off to change your sprocket on a husky and just mess with a little clip to do it on a Stihl.

Nothing like changing the sprocket on a bagged out husky trying to smack the longhandled bar wrench with your bar on the compression stroke, good times.:lol:

I never looked back.

Good luck with your repair John.

How'd you pull your clutch? Some people I know will stuff starter cord down the piston hole to jam the piston, others a dummy plug. I've always heard that just using the compression is the safest for the piston?

Shouldn't need to take the clutch out to replace any of the chainbrake parts, might remove the drum to give a little more room to get the band out though. I think you may have to remove the drum, just 1 clip! make sure the notch in the drum is lined up with the little wire off the oiler worm when you put it back on.

Thanks JIML, I did pull the drum, I was clueless about lining anything back up though. Hopefully I can get the part today, and get er' back in action.

Oh now I see when Willie and Werks 4 da man said brake band, they actually meant the brake band. When I read springy thing I figured you were going in deeper. You gotta keep that sucker clean I got two older 46's and haven't had a problem with the brake bands in either one. From what I've seen crud builds up in there and wears 'em down.

where did you ge the blow away part map from? I tried to find it on the net but couldn't I'm looking for any and all of the saw models.

You can't find Stihl IPL's on the internet like you can other brands.

To get exploded parts views (ILP's) on Stihl producrs, you gotta know somebody that knows somebody... :/:

LOL

Gary

Help a brother out. Who took a Sthil repair course and still has thier manual?!?

You can't find Stihl IPL's on the internet like you can other brands.

To get exploded parts views (ILP's) on Stihl producrs, you gotta know somebody that knows somebody... :/:

LOL

Gary

OR

Just BE that SOMEBODY! :P

Back