020T

treetx

Traveler extraordinaire
My 020 revs high at idle the last few jobs I have done. I am a chain brake Nazi so that prevents a lot of danger but it is asking for an accident to happen with the spinning chain at idle.

I am a saw user, not a mechanic. Any help?

(users are losers)

The only thing I can think of is to dump your tank & try again with a high octane gas & a precise oil mix. I've inadvertently (sp.?) mixed at too high of a gas ratio. Lax et all.
Good luck.

If you didn't fiddle with the adjustment screws you might be developing an air leak in a seal.

If it starts out cold and idles and runs fine,then as it warms up it gets to running fast,an air leak is likely.More times than not it will be on the clutch side.

I may have a picture of changing one in my archives.If so,I'll post it.

If you didn't fiddle with the adjustment screws you might be developing an air leak in a seal.

If it starts out cold and idles and runs fine,then as it warms up it gets to running fast,an air leak is likely.More times than not it will be on the clutch side.

I may have a picture of changing one in my archives.If so,I'll post it.

Good post, Mr. Al ! I tend to start out low-end with my mis-haps...
BASICS !!!
Regular in the tank that had an orange decal reading "DIESEL ONLY"
Empty fuel tank
Wrong mix
Clogged fuel filter
Etc., etc.
I'm a gal of simple means.
This from many years of helping out roadside breakdowns, y'know ?!? LOL

Most older 020s and 200s will develop some degree of an air leak after several years of hard use. It's not the end of the world, my best running 200T has had an air leak for almost a year now. You can slightly richen up the low end jet (turn the L screw ccw slightly) to bring it back to a normal idle.

What Al and Brian said, but have a look at the rubber, between the carb and the cylinder, sometimes they can tear.
A quick way to check for an air leak is to turn the saw on it's side for about 5 seconds and then turn it back up right, do this on both sides. If you hear a difference in the RPMs this is a good indication of a leak.
I would try adjusting the idle screw first, this is the screw that adjust the throttle shaft, and is marked by an LA above it on the rubber on the right side if the saw, or the bottom hole.
Next you can try adjusting the low circuit screw on the carb as Brian said, but do it in small increments an in a 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. Once you richen the low side you may have to lean the high side out.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

an easy way to check for air leaks is to get your air blaster and shoot air all around the carb. If the rpm changes, then you got an air leak

Give it a bit more fuel on the L first, perhaps a bit on H too..

Many of the top handle 020 that has been here adjust them self.

If it is not responding to adjustments, even small, it is something wrong.

It is like when you are on the pub..
If the air and fuel is good you check the boot and hoses, if that is well, carefully adjust and if she doesn't blow a gasket it is a good chance you will get lucky!

Back