C

cutitup

I made this up at work the other day..

Attachments

• Misc winter 2009 041.jpg
    Misc winter 2009 041.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No not yet. I may use it tommorow I have a small pecker pole I need to take down and I may use it just to "learn" my boy how to use it and figure out how may wraps to use for a given weight.

looks alright, just a bollard right? i think id hook the strap from the other side, from under the device

looks alright, just a bollard right? i think id hook the strap from the other side, from under the device

So the tip of the hook isn't digging in the bark? I had the same thoughts.

Nice looking setup. On skinny trees watch for deflection where the hook attaches. The GRCS incorporates a hinge just for that.

Yeah, just a bollard, no moving parts. I put the attachments in the middle so no one can scew it up installing it. It's seems to hold OK the way it is. I was lowering my fat arse ,at 200 lbs, and jumping on it and it didn't budge.

It looks better than my homemade device. Remember, 200 lbs ain't any kinda load at all.

But it looks quite sturdy.

You are, of course, correct Butch. Particulary with any sort of shock loading. I'm still thinking about some sort of rope guide. But I haven't decided on which idea to steal yet :/: I also think I'm gonna put anothe set of "ears" on it so as to attach another strap should I feel the need arise.
Not too much thought went into it at this point. I was just sitting aorund work at lunch time saw the piece of 3" pipe in the scrap bin and went from there. Oh, and BTW the shiny bits are stainless steel so no need to worry about burning paint off or rusting.

What is the size on the pipe you are using? I have been kicking a design similar to that but using aluminum instead since I have access to that at work. Did you use stainless pipe? I have been trying to come up with a way to use a chain link to hook the ratchet strap to so you do not have the bending forces to deal with.

Thank you , NeTree.
Fallguy, If your worried so much about the defection you could weld a short section of chain to the each side of the "base" - top and bottom on each side. Then you could put the strap to that. Of couse, as it pulls the chain will follow the contour of the tree. I hope that sounds clear:?

I don't think it is a problem with the steel version that you have made. I was concerned only with a all aluminum one. Thanks for the input.

Thank you all ! I am a "machinist/welder" by trade. More on the welding side but I can "run" a miller or lathe with the best of them. Ironically tree work is a 'escape' for me. Being cooped up in the shop all day makes me want to spend some time out doors!

Ha! being outside all day makes me want to spend some time indoors next to the fire.

Thanks! But I gotta say I think your better with wood then I am with steel.

Hey Cutitup, have you put a fairlead on yet to direct the incoming rope yet?? Would be my next addition plus I like your idea of the chain to attach the strap but how bout just drill couple holes through the sides and run the chain through so you are not dependant on 2 small welds?? You obviously know better than I though being a welder by trade but I wouldnt trust MY WELDS:lol:

Back