The cutting edge of tree removal

Pushes air instead of pulls.

Squish was saying skidders are set-up for pulling air across the engine in summer, and reversed the fan to push air over the hot engine and operator in winter, in an open cab.

Push the chips away from the radiator, rather than pull them in.

Never seen on of those - so the fan just runs in reverse? It seems like that would blow debris into the fins even deeper?

Like 'back-blowing' a radiator to clean it out. Move air from the clean side of the engine through the radiator, instead of the 'dirty' side/ outside the housing pulling dust and debris into the radiator.

They need to invent a radiator system that also blows air across the outside of the intake side, to blast debris away.

A rotary filter would work well, but it isn't obvious to install it on a chipper due to the lack of available space.

I always thought that's why the old school oil bath filters were good on equipment, easy and cheap to change and will filter a ton of crap and still work well.

I agree for the dust, but what about the chips and the fibrous things like the london plane fruits. It seems to me that it will make like a purée in the filter.

... Say , is that thing Dielectric ??
Yes, dielectric. Fiberglass upper boom -- came in handy today toward dusk, working near a set of lines. And as I supposed, watching Tuesday & today -- with the tandem team of the grapple truck + bucket truck, we very economically approach the efficiency of the original unit at the beginning of the thread. And with less weight and impact on the terrain, as well as more flexibility in configuration. The main canopy of the 6+' DBH bur oak today went down very efficiently today. Many leaders were as big as some trees -- 2 to 3' diameter. Grab, cut, rotate, feed into chipper. Repeat.

Our truck looks similar to the one in this listing.

I was just looking at the body of the truck and the year -- similar to the listing I posted, but that one said Michigan, not Akron, OH. But you're right, the boom looks more like the one you linked to, how it overhangs the truck. I have photos from Tuesday I'll post to the Work Pics thread.

Back