Rope bridge question

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Just thought I'd start a small discussion on rope bridges, because I'm curious on a few things. About 3 months ago I changed out the standard bridge on my Treemotion for a piece of Blaze(mainly because the TM bridge needed to be retired, and I wanted to try something new before buying a new bridge). I had done some research prior to swapping it with blaze and found many people use Velocity and/or Blaze as a bridge, be it for the TM, Ergovation, or when modding a Cougar into a Liger.

I know Blaze(and most likely Velocity) has a polyester core, which, as I've heard from Nick, polyester makes the best bridge material because of its resistance to degrading like many of the high mod fibers bridges were once made of.

Personally, I feel 100% safe with my Blaze bridge, but I wanted to get some other thoughts just to see. I've been inspecting it daily and it shows minimal signs of wear. I'm thinking in another 3 months I'll replace it with another hank a Blaze and remove the core from this one, to see how it fairs compared to some high mod bridges I've made before(one was nearly split in half after only 6 months of use). I know the TM bridge is specifically designed for it and all that, but I don't see any flaw in using the Blaze as a bridge replacement.

I used PI line for mine as you probably have read in the other thread. I got tired of worrying of the high mod bridge.
I would prefer a webbing style bridge.. But I also want the action of the pulley as I have now grown fond of it. That HC at my bridge has been proving itself really handy. Smooth also.

Adrian,

What was the hi mod fiber bridge that you used that wore out in 6 months (actually less, seeing that it was half worn through in 6 months)?

I wouldn't be worried in the least about the Blaze, A. Like any rope component, monitor it's condition.

Any bridge ought to be out in the open and visible to inspect easily...don't cover it with some sort of sheath in an ill-conceived plan to deter abrasion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I was rocking my sequoia I made a few bridges outta all gear tech cord, since it was one of the few things you could splice that short. I put a 24 strand cover over said cord and I had a bridge. A few months later is when people started realizing its bad stuff to make bridges with.

Now that I have a TM I use stopper knots, so no more worries about splicing a short bridge.

I prefer a webbing bridge myself.......

After burning up my 3rd stock Petzl bridge on my 2.5 yr old seqioua, I switched to this. I actually had to switch because Petzl wouldnt replace a gated ring with a stripped out torx head. This can be girthed on to the rings.

Attachments

• 400_30285.jpg
    400_30285.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 99
I used PI line for mine as you probably have read in the other thread. I got tired of worrying of the high mod bridge.
I would prefer a webbing style bridge.. But I also want the action of the pulley as I have now grown fond of it. That HC at my bridge has been proving itself really handy. Smooth also.

I seen that in the other thread. The HC looks neat and I can see where it would helpful along with the PI bridge you installed on your Cougar . Makes me want one more then ever now. I keep saying this because I am wannabe rope bridge climber. I like that set-up you have.

I have a Buck saddle here my son outgrew that has the small dee's that I hate but have been thinking of making a small rope bridge for it using the dee's and see how it works just to get a feel for a rope bridge.

Hey Stephen, ever consider modding your Cougar into a Liger? All you do is switch out the two rings the bridge attaches too with two small rigging plates. I've used one for a few, its a great mod to the saddle, definitely makes it more versatile. I'll find a vid someone did and put it up to clarify.

As for the webbing warp speed bridge, I'd trust that completely as well. Heard those things are bombproof from a number of people.

Webbing holds up hella better on the rough bark I deal with regular. In fact, I will be purchasing a new Weaver floating double D just for that reason. The gray pines here are real hard on rope.
I would appreciate a picture/video of the liger set up Adrian. If you can find it... please post it.

See if I can find pics of the deep furrowed bark they have...pitchy as hell... Heck, the cones are pretty brutal all by themselves....
digger-c.jpg

This is a pretty good example... some of the furrows approach 1 1/2 deep commonly on the more mature ones I kill... Natural crotching this species is NOT good for your ropes. :lol:
dep_1301180-Pine-bark-close-up.-Texture.jpg

Here you go man, very simple to switch over too.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tiim7GHbHr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You do relies Spectra is just a registered trade name for Honeywell, the generic fiber name is Dyneema.

Maybe so...... my understanding is of all the dyneema bridge failures, they were of a rope braid construction, all covered with an outside jacket. The warpspeed webbing bridges have been used for years with no reported problems. I believe its the construction of the dyneema bridges which leads to their failure, not solely the materials. Like I said, I trust it completely. I trust it moreso than a short piece of rope.

Back