Writing estimates

cory

Tree House enthusiast
How many of y'all hand write estimates vs do them electronically?

What do you see as the pros and cons of your method?

And you hand writers, got any pens that write in cold weather??

...hand write, try not to overdo it but provide the specs on job to protect both parties from misunderstandings. Fixed bid always.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
FJR, do you have a printer in your vehicle? Do you like it for reasons beyond legibility?

...oh yeah if there is any way possible it may lead to work, I will find something that I can make write...Winter is slow and almost desperate for sales

I hand write most of mine but I am trying more and more to email estimates. We use quick books online and it's nice having all the info for each customer on the phone all the time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Always electronic and sometimes on a biz card.
We are working towards voice record and then voice to text and then
add insurance certificate and qualifications page(lotta horn tootin).
Other tree cos will tear up your estimate if they find it in the mail box.
No chance for misplacing, gives them a chance to email back with questions
can give you chance to rethink the job to adjust the price.
I think in their eyes they see it as you may care to take the time to do the proposal up right and
therefore will do a good job. They see it as thoughtful!

Lotta good points there, RA. But I don't totally understand the first line re "sometimes on a biz card."

Old school, baby!

"many just say go ahead and the card is theirs to remind you of what was said/agreed."

Uh, huh?

Same as I do. Old school is no problem for me.

I give you my word to do something, you give me your word you're going to pay me a certain amount when it's done. I'll do it.

I've had some issues, but I always get paid.

My employer writes his estimates out. When I do work on my own, I go electronic. I like being able to create customer files and with a click, check past work prices I've quoted them.

Most are electronic quotes using a PDF with restrict editing. Would like to use a protected password on gov't quotes, so they could open it only on the last day of bidding...just got under bid by a guy I think saw my quote.

Electronic, often by copying my written and having Kat proof read :lol:
Written, in long form as nice as I can after Kat proof reads or simple quote on back of card.
Most here will take a verbal and I make a note in my schedule book on what was agreed.
We are really old school here. You find a lot of people don't even have e mail.

I'm going to all electronic, still figuring out how. But I want to go electronic/streamlined from the time they call for a bid through generating the invoice and envelope, if required.

I'm not sure about a printer in the vehicle, we may mail out what can't be emailed. If that's the case, the bid/contract and/or invoice will be generated from a "click" in the field.

Most are electronic quotes using a PDF with restrict editing. Would like to use a protected password on gov't quotes, so they could open it only on the last day of bidding...just got under bid by a guy I think saw my quote.

Erik did some of this PDF editing restriction on ebids, and made it so that they could e-sign and email back.

Still hand write a third to a half. Erik's chickenscratch is illegible to me. Capital BLOCK letters seems to allude him, so his words shrink and are vague. He was the big motivator to upgrade emailed bids.

Hand written on 3 part invoices I order with my logo on top and my own fine print specs on bottom.

I have left over quadruplicate forms but for 2 full years we've been doing 90% or more by email. So much better having it electronic. I have full access on my phone to look any thing up. Monthly and quarterly reports at a touch.

I now do it by hand unless it's a local authority quote, what I want to do is quote on the iPad and print it off in the van then pass them straight over to the client. Does anyone know of a small printer that can do that?

You would need a WiFi printer for the iPad, right? I just saw some wireless printers for $100 at staples, they also had an all-in-one printer, scanner, etc for $100

In theory I could use my home printer with a converter for the cigarette lighter, I was looking for something almost purpose built, small thin and cool!

I have my job proposal + contract on one double-sided sheet of letterhead, I like to type them up and email as a PDF or even snail mail for some customers.

I do carry some carbon paper and the same forms with blank section in case I want to hand write an easy one on the spot. Or if the customer wants to sign right now.

I hope to eventually upgrade to ipad and printer in the vehicle.............

Back