Tree ID in So Cal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A lot of the development is less than 5 years old, and they didn't mind packing the trees in. They look like vigorous growers and they're tight to the concrete. All the landscaping looks pretty good around there.

Goldenrain almost for certain if the are pods up high, but there's also a NZ native tree that looks like that. I can't remember them name though.

Thank you. Golden Rain it is. According to the specs, these trees will be growing into each other across the street and lifting up the sidewalks. It also says they are deciduous, but do they ever lose their leaves in places like Florida or So Cal?

Speaking of invasive species, our local paper this week listed Norway Maple in the top 12 "Not Wanted" trees. I always thought those were beautiful and desirable.

Speaking of invasive species, our local paper this week listed Norway Maple in the top 12 "Not Wanted" trees. I always thought those were beautiful and desirable.

They certainly are in Norway, Sweden and here. Especially since they are the earliest trees to flower in spring, bees love them.

Stig, did you mean where you are the Norway maples are "not wanted", or that they are desirable?

The photos of the paniculata look like simple leaves but your photos the leaves appear to be compound. I would think k. bipinnate would be on the money; My first guess at first glance was a crape myrtle with the flowers high above the canopy like that....

jp:D

Golden Rain looks like the best ID to me, but I would like to know what the So Cal street tree seminar book is.

With all the screwed-up sidewalk history in LA,

it'd make sense that it was Chinese flame tree.

that book has saved my ass more than once
great for id, or deciding what tree will fit into what sized cut out and do well
worth having
still think it s the chinese flame tree
over the golden rain

Hey Nick, that little condo village is near your house or shop, right? It's just at the bottom of the hill on the north side of Loyola Marymount.

No kidding on the sidewalks in LA! Like an obstacle course from tree roots. Guess they didn't have that book a few years back.

Yeah- just so others can see where we're talking about: http://goo.gl/maps/ad0U

It's this weird condo-community that has just about everything you'd need so that you could live your whole life and never leave there. I drove through it once just to check it out. It is full of the quintessential yuppies!

Next time I'm by there, I'll swing by to check out their trees.

I lived not far from there once upon a time Nick .. Playa Del Rey side. Just off Manchester. I don't remember if it was 80th or 81st St. near where they joined 83rd before Gulana.... 1979 and again in 1980 before I moved to Venice Beach.

I think it was Kiyot Way. The landscaping is very nice, and the development has a quiet, open feel, considering how many people they have packed in per sq inch. The condo assoc rules are about 50 pages long.

Nick, I only took those 3 pics. Check out the clubhouse , tons of beautiful succulents. There's a nice little park right in the center of the community. Some of the palms have vines growing up the trunk, looks like they will overtake the whole tree. But it's pretty hard to kill a palm, right?

Back