Barber Chair

• Thread starter TreeDimensional
  • Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 4K
My guess is because he stopped cutting when he hit the internal crack and heard it pop. That 30 seconds of standing around looking at it while the entire tree was pulling on that weak spot allowed it to split. If he had just finished the back cut I believe he could have finished the hinge before it split.

That vid has been posted before, in the old THouse...don't recall which forum/thread. Skwerl said the same thing then, too...and I agreed with him that time around as well :D.

You've taught me well, Burnham. I've learned far more about felling trees here on the forum than I've ever done in the field. Urban arboriculture doesn't provide many opportunities for production felling.

Butch, you can't see the crown at all, it's out of the frame...how would you be able to tell about limb weight?

Part of sizing up a tree is consideration of species. That is an Alder, for that tree, it has a moderate lean, that will bite you if improperly cut up. That "faller" demonstrated improper technique quite well.

I maintain that was the anomaly, not the norm, and I still wonder why it acted like it had a BobCat pulling on it.

Saw didn't appear to be cutting all that fast for a tree that size.

This is a great video of just how easy it is to get killed by making a bad cut.. a must see for any rookie faller..

There was clearly an unintentional bypass dutchman on the face.. the evidence of that is in the little bit of movement and then the stop.. so the tree moved until the kerf closed, just barely perceptible on the vid. That is why the guy stopped and took a step back..

the next clear evidence of the bypass is when he is pushing what was left of the tree by hand.. it was ready to go, but couldn't becasue of the bypass.. so he had to cut 'til the hinge failed

A competing tree service did this next door to one of my jobs. The crew were latino and spoke no English otherwise I would have explained to them the error of their ways. The owner of that company sends his guys out under trained and under experienced.

Attachments

• DSC09320.JPG
    DSC09320.JPG
    603.5 KB · Views: 8
Back