When to replace sprocket?

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
I was just wondering when you all replace the sprocket on your saws. I have seen recommendations of replacing them after every two chains. I have never replaced one unless they get damaged for some reason. I have never noticed any ill affects from doing this. Does anyone really replace their sprockets after every two chains?

I've heard/ read that with spur drive sprockets for Stihl, 2 chains equals new sprocket. I think that this is going to be premature quite often, and also possibly overdue with others. Climbing saws don't usually need to be sharpened very often, at least if cutting a lot of softwoods. My 192T has the original, 3yo, spur drive sprocket. Some of the smaller saws use spur drives also as a one-piece deal with the clutch drum. They will go through chains with many fewer hours, as they are more likely limbing wood up on the ground, after its dropped onto dirt and rocks sometimes.

On larger saws, there is usually a rim sprocket which on Stihls, has holes on both the inside and outside. I've heard that the rim sprockets are worn to the point of replacing if they allow the drivers to touch the clutch drum (can be seen with chain off the saw with a chain put into the sprocket, and by the little dimples on the clutch drum. On Stihl sprockets, there is a little horizontal line that appears across the driver hollow, once worn enough.

This is a good question that, I think, needs a more qualitative answer (excess drag, bogs in cut easier), rather than quantitative (every 2 chains). Also, can people voice the repercussions of using a worn out sprocket?

I don't know how to say it other than just replace it when it's worn. Kind of like trying to define how often one should replace the tires on his truck, you just look at it and replace it when it's worn out.

Visual inspection, for sure. Wow, two chains = a new sprocket? Really? I've never heard that one before. Anyone else?

I've seen it recommended but never followed the 2 chain rule. I try to do maintainence like that along the visual inspection rule but more often than not it turns out to be fix it when it breaks,

A guy I used to climb for has been doing tree work for over 15 years and has never replaced a sprocket on any saw.

I check them ,when I replace the chain.
If they are worn, I change them.
I buy them by the dozen from Bailey's, they hardly cost anything.

Sherrill's catalog says every two chains but I've never done it. I think the best time to replace anything is right before it breaks but with rings and sprockets I just replace'em when they look worn... 10 chains maybe? I really have no idea.

When moderate wear shows. Dimples in face, etc. Sometimes if things have gone well, after a couple of chains. Way before 10 chains for sure. Like Stig, I buy them buy the dozen. Cheap, easy to replace part that is key to a properly tuned saw.

It's not a grand concern of mine either, similar to Brian's former customer. Like Cobleskill, if it doesn't roll smooth, I replace it. I bought some spare sprockets back "in the day", I think I lost them before I ever used them.

Brushing dead/and or hard woods often the two chain rule would apply. Friggen hard on chain, sprockets and bars. If it does not move smooth and has good dimples in it too.. Cheap enough, change it out. You will get more wear on chain drivers and your bar if you don't.. Suddenly the chain is loose.. .then tight, then loose.. :P
When I do only trees.. Sheesh.. they seem to just last forever... Like maybe 4-6 chains. Granted I hand file all my chain so they last a while.

What's a sprocket?

JK.

I've replaced a couple through the years. I make chains for around $12, but you bet your ass I'm sharpening them till the cutter flakes off. :|:

Back