Makita 6401 with big bore upgrade

The ad is confusing .The way I read it ,you get the saw in stock form plus in addition they send you the increased large bore kit .

If you read the ad ,they suggest not installing the kit until the normal warrentee has expired .So having said that ,in addition to what they say ,you have to either install the kit or have some one do it for you .

In addition by installing that kit you are increasing the displacement by 20 cc or an inch and a quarter with likely 2 more HP . All along running on 60 cc sized bearings . Might hold it ,might not .

Al, that saw is sold in three different displacements, all with the same bottom end. The largest stock displacement is 79cc. You might have heard of the Dolmar 7900? The Makita is a blue Dolmar.

Okay,no as a fatter of fact I didn't know that .

However though as I read that add it appears to be as I said,stock saw with the kit packaged seperately .

I've heard some mumblings about the over bore kits for the Stihls but nothing on this model of saw .

Al we seen the proto type 8400 kit at the Jan GTG.
If you remember it is a Makita 6401 with a aftermarket 84cc big bore kit. There was some problems with fitments on this kit too. Guys are having problems even with the final kits being sold also.
The OEM 7900 79cc kits are $199 so I aint going to spend $109 on the 84cc Big Bores kits. JMO.

Here were the times of a stock 7900 stock solo 681 and the Makita 8400 run in the same 10x10 poplar cant for 2 cuts.

GTG Racing
2 cuts 10x10
0-80cc class, let BB8400 84cc run to compare.

Name Saw Time
Kevin Husky 375 4.72 woods ported
Andy Husky 372 5.04 woods ported
Eric Husky 181 5.25 stock muffler mod
Eric Dolmar 7900 5.69 STOCK
Bill Solo 681 5.97 STOCK
Brad Stihl 460 6.28 woods ported
Mark Husky 372 6.41 stock muffler mod
Andy Dolmar 7900 6.72 woods ported
Brad Makita BB8400 6.97 STOCK

They can say what they want, but proof was on the stopwatches.

Red would be the Dolmar or Solo at the winter Jan GTG. The BB8400 was on a Blue Makita.

You ran a 576 in a big log at the spring Apr GTG, but that is orange.

That figures,I'm about half color blind plus I don't pay attention very good .:lol: However that saw did pretty darned good I thought .

Come to think of it though my next door neighbor has I think a 6401 and it doesn't do too bad for what it is . He thought I souped it up for him but all I did was file the chain .Guard chain too boot .

Some day I'll stick a loop of chisel on it and see how he likes that .

The Husqvarna 576 impressed me too Al in that big log and not to many stock saws do that anymore.

Husky has increased the displacement on their saw, to make it competitive for the market for the 7901. The big attraction on that saw was the power to weight ratio and I believe that the Husky 385 is similar. I think that must be the reason. Better distribution and such, could be a factor too.

I bought a 576 a few months ago. It still pastes a smile on my face. $720 out the door with a 24", a box of files,and a bar sleeve.

I got tired of waiting for a 372. Plus in my research I saw some European contest and the 576 took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

Back